April 27, 2024, 11:37:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Welding on bike

Started by sharkoilfield, January 01, 2009, 08:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

I know that welding on machinery can cause arcing across bearings if not grounded properly; I want to tack a front fender piece while it's on the bike to ensure alignment. If the bike is on it's tires and I throw a piece of rubber under the sidestand, can I safely weld on the front fender if the ground clamp is also on the fender???

motorplex88

I always unhook the ground cable off the battery to prevent damage to the ECM and other electronics and keep the ground for the welder as close to your work as possible.

Big Dan

+1 on what motorplex88 said.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

hdpegscraper

Unless your parked on a metal floor, I wouldnt worry about the kickstand. And Ill 2nd the above post.

Phu Cat

I always unhook the ground cable off the battery to prevent damage to the ECM and other electronics

DEFinately!

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

MMOCGuy

Diggs223

something with the mass of a bike  i'd go with motor also. i've done a lot of welding on heavy machines and not had any trouble doing nothing, even the new ones with computers in them. ground is always close, machines that weight in tons not pounds.
" I can't " .... means, I don't want to.

Gonzo

Back years ago when I was a welder, we were always told to unplug the voltage regulator, so we didnt fry them.  Dont know if things have changed, but definitely worth the effort just to be safe.

sharkoilfield

Thanks for the tips, guys. For all the effort it takes, I'll unplug the regulator and disconnect the battery.....

seigles

put ground AS CLOSE to what your welding,everything's cool.

harpo1313

wouldnt hurt unplugging elec ign and coil

FXDBI

MIG,TIG or stick? They all make sparks cover things up so you wont get a stray spark sticking some where shiny unplug the electrical disconnect the battery and ground on the fender. Slide some kind of fire blanket under the fenders and cover them fancy inverted forks so there is NO WAY a stray spark can stick to the finish. Oh make sure the ground has contact to the metal on the fender like water the electrical current follows the easiest path.