April 27, 2024, 01:49:53 AM

News:

Intrepid trunk lid

Started by Phu Cat, January 01, 2009, 10:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phu Cat

The trunk lid on our '03 Intrepid is becoming harder to get to latch.  It used to be closing it gently would latch it, but now I have to almost slam it to get it to latch.  (Don't want this to be a problem for Ma when she's out by herself.)

It looks like there are two torqs screws on the bottom of the trunk that might be for adjusting this thing.  This doesn't look like a critical adjustment.  Any advice?

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

truck

Did you lubricate the mechanism? It made a world of difference in the way the house doors latch.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

seattledyna

loosen the torx screws and raise the latch assy an 1/8 inch or so at a time till it closes snug, of course spray the lube of your choice in the works of the latch first

you should be good to go then!  those latches creep a bit after years of use.

Phu Cat

Seattledyna,  those latches creep a bit after years of use.  I thought they might wear some too.  Think I'll try Truck's suggestion of lubricating everything before moving anything around.  Thanks guys.

PC

egstandard

And on another note. Always and I mean always, keep an eye on the oil and coolant levels on those Mitsubishi motors.

mackdog

I had an 02 Intrepid and had the same problem when I first bought it. I thought it was the latch but it turned out to be the thingy that you pull from  inside the trunk to open it.  Some sort of safety device I guess, in case you lock yourself in or that body stashed in there comes alive lol.  I traded the vehicle a couple months ago so I can't go look at it and give a better description.  I just remember it had something to do with that inside puller.  Mack

Phu Cat

Thanks for the heads-up Mackdog.  I'll check that.

PC

harleyjt

Quote from: egstandard on January 02, 2009, 06:31:10 AM
And on another note. Always and I mean always, keep an eye on the oil and coolant levels on those Mitsubishi motors.

What Mitsubishi motors?  No Mitsu engines were ever used in Intrepids.  All were home grown Mopar.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

egstandard

Really? I guess I need a new mechanic then.

harleyjt

Quote from: egstandard on January 06, 2009, 03:27:29 PM
Really? I guess I need a new mechanic then.

Apparently so if he's telling you there's a Mitsu engine in an Intrepid.  Just what engine is it he thinks is a Mitsu?  First generation LH Intrepids (93-97) used either a 3.3L (pushrod) or 3.5 (dual throttle body) engine. Both are Chrysler engines.  2nd gen LH Intrepids (98-02) used 2.7L, 3.2L, or 3.5L (single t/body).  3.2/3.5 were the same engine family.  All are Chrysler engines. Iirc, there weren't a lot of 3.2's.  That was only for a couple of years or so (98-99 maybe 2000), then went to the 3.5L.     
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

egstandard

Well, it's all water under the bridge now. Or should I say water out of the block. Piss poor design on some water pipe on the block cracked and the old lady let it run dry and cracked the block. I heard the 2.7's were a bad design a couple years ago and should have pawned it then. 2000 with only 85,000 miles on it. I parted it out and scraped the rest. No more Chryslers for me.

mackdog

I guess I must have gotten a good one.  The aforementioned "02 I traded for a 4wd Ranger that I needed for our rough winters up here. 1000,000 adult driven miles on the 2.7 intrepid and absolutely NO engine issues. A tranny prob toward the end but had nothing to do with why I traded it.  Original battery, 80,000 miles on original set of tires.  I did use Mobil one but lets not get into that.  I know this isn't what the orig. thread was about, but just had to get my .02 in on what I thought was, although a bit underpowered, a pretty good car..  MD