Believe it or not, I have a question for Seattledyna....

Started by Big Dan, January 01, 2009, 11:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Dan

Mike,
My 1.0-tip detail gun died. It's a Vaper brand, which isn't the best, but I guess it's a step ahead of a lot of what's available out there. Anyways, I'm using the 1.4 tip gun, and getting decent results, but I really liked the way things atomized through that tiny tip. Would you think that I should force myself to get proficient with the bigger gun, or is it acceptable/preferable to do these small parts with a little gun? And if so, what would you recommend for a replacement (on a budget)? I found a Snap-on Bluepoint for a good price, and was thinking about buying it. Keep in mind, I don't ever intend to do a whole lot of this type of work, but I'm also sure this job won't be my last either. Thanks in advance.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

seattledyna

I use an Iwata, I can run out to the shop and get some #s for you, its a siphon/gravity feed/HVLP  its the right tool for doing bike size work!
A larger gun is ok if you adust the fluid flow properly for small parts, but the 1 pint guns let you work around the curvy bike parts easier.

seattledyna

ok Dan, here is what I use, the one on the left is an older Iwata, no longer available but it is my favorite over all the guns I have! the one on the right is the newer "compliant" model that replaced it, a very nice gun, the inverted cup can be rotated all the way around for hard to get at areas

there are many good guns out there at all different prices, with most of the cheap ones though you get what you pay for, but a decent one can be found.

this is an older Sharpe detail gun I have, you can darn near use it for airbrush work!

seattledyna

by the way, that Snap-On gun should be ok, most likely made by a major manufacture for the company and you can get parts for it if needed, if you like the price go for it!

Big Dan

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?store=snapon-store&item_ID=69054&group_ID=12483

That's the gun. I can get it for $75. The only thing I don't like is that it's only a 3 ounce cup. I stopped at a place a few towns over and bought some filters and stuff a while back, and they had a small Binks, also for $75. I didn't really look at it closely, but I might go over there tomorrow just for grins.

Never follow the Hippo into the water.

seattledyna

I have one similar to that also, it is for very small work, yep, the small cup and spray pattern is for not much more than a side cover, but when you dont want to mix a bunch of expensive clear just for one small part that is the gun

Bear

If you dont want to spend too much Finex makes a pretty good one for under a hundred bucks.        Dave

skunk

Like Bear, I would also second the vote on the Finex gun, I have used the small hvlp detail gun with good results.  Just picked up a used Sata minijet 3 on C/L for Cheep, waiting on a chance to use it, cold here!!!!