May 09, 2024, 08:29:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

subtitution?

Started by 86fxwg, April 11, 2011, 04:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

86fxwg

What oil do u guys substitute for trans fluid in sportsters?

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Bigs

'05 1200C has Amsoil 20W-50 in engine and transmission. Never had any clutch slip and it's putting out 84 HP at rear wheel.
   Bigs

86fxwg

Don't have any of that Hear but what about 80/90 or 75/140 m.t.l?
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

14Frisco

Since harley no longer maks the Sport Trans Fluid I asked the parts guy at my dealer the same question a couple of months ago - what do people use now?  I don't remember his answer but I also told him I bought the last dusty gallon jar a few years back from them and he said "no, you didn't... 'cause we have more left".  So I bought another gallon.  If you want Sport Trans Fluid you might want to ask your dealer...

Bigs

I would then go to Harley Syn3. I think the 80/90 and especially the 75/140 MTL would cause to much clutch drag trying to get into neutral and also might cause slipping. Not sure if a synthetic oil like Mobil 1 would cause clutch slipping or not. Transmission fluid is great when the transmission is separate from the primary but the Sportster has the trans and primary together sharing the same fluid.
   Bigs

14Frisco

I had forgotten, but I did put in Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 very briefly in my Sporty after running out of the Sport Trans Fluid... then I read somewhere (possibly on a Buell forum?) that that particular lube might be bad for your stator, more than one person reported issues after using it.  That's when I asked my dealer what people use now and got another gallon of the Sport Trans...