April 28, 2024, 09:10:12 AM

News:

Chrome Saddlebag Lid Trim (53878-03)

Started by singletrak, January 01, 2009, 01:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

singletrak

In lieu of drilling the two holes on top of each saddlebag lid to mount the chrome speers (as recommended by the installation instructions), has anyone had any success of using an adhesive (tape) to mount the speers?   I like the look of the chrome saddlebag lid trim, however, not sure I like the look well enough to make the long term committment by drilling holes in the lid.  Thanks. 

superglidesport1

Single,

They look great and also protect the top lid from heal scuffs over time. They also break up the top cover and make them appear longer and narrower. I installed them on my '04 RK and was so happy with the look and the protection they provided I also installed them on my new 2007 RG. No problems with leaks either as the gasket does a good job sealing the spears at the two mounting holes. My recommendation, just install them as recommended on the instructions.

You're known by the promises you keep. Not the promises you make!

singletrak

04Glider2

I pondered the same question while I looked at my new trim pieces. I thought I would grind the mounting lugs down below flush and fill the entire length with epoxy or body filler and use the double sided tape we use in the autobody business.
After looking at them awhile longer I drilled the holes with the template provided and bolted them on. I have no regrets, but I am sure the other method would have been just as good.
BYTW, I have the harley tour pack spear trim kit and it comes from HD with the adhesive tape and has stayed on perfectly well.
If you look at the picture I attached you can see how they look with the matching tour pack spoiler and saddlebag lid spoilers with the led lights. You can make the bag spoiler lights into turn, stop and running lights quite easily.
Also we had the lid bras cut and resewn at a buddy's upholstery shop so when you put on the lid bras the spoilers are exposed. It only took about an hour and a couple of beers to get it finished. The lid bras don't look great but they can save some scratches if someone is not careful. The spears fit fine under the bras by the way.
                                    Stay Safe in the New Year!!!!!!!!!!!

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]