Any cool tricks to hold lifters up when changing cams and check tdc clearance

Started by itsafatboy, January 01, 2009, 01:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsafatboy

So without taking heads off is there a way to just check the pistong to valve clearance at tdc how about a scope will that work or another idea, also withought those magnet tools is there a way to hold the lifters up in the bores dont want to take covers off again. 

NightTrain67

2002 Nightrain
117 ci  R&R Stage V Heads, TR650G cams, Mik. 48, Baker 6-Speed

cody

NightTrain 67
Using the wire from a folder clip as outlined in the manual didn't work for me. Picked up same magnets but were to big. Haven't trimmed them down yet. Would be interested in your way if you could post it here.

crazy joe

Ditto what Cody said.    When I did mine I used some hemostats lifted up the lifter
and clipped them on,worked well.

Jeffd

I use a couple of magnets held with some clothes pins. I have also used the folder clip wires but they kept wanting to slip.

Sonny S.

Jeffd

Sonny S.

The Farm boy's know what I'm talking about...lol

Go to Southern States....they got em'

Jeffd

Actually I am a farm boy and I was always amazed when a cow sh8t out barb wire and what ever else would stick to the magnet.  It was a dirty job retrieving the magnet.  LOL.  they work even better for holding up lifters tho.

Tsani

ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Sonny S.

LMAO !!

I'm a city slicker and just learned about cow magnets a few years ago.

road-dawgs1

The wire from the clips worked for me, you just gotta make sure that you bend them a little and that they catch in the edges of the lifter.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

mtnmotorrider

Those bull dog clips work great every time if you just sharpen the ends of the wire so that they slip under the lifter plunger retaining clips.  Use the really large ones, they have the best holding strength.
I like most dogs better than most people.

ceduby

Well I'll be.........cow magnets. Never heard if em. I never thought I would learn something like that on this sight. But hey if it works. Think I'll check on it at my next co-op visit and get some.
Beat it to fit, paint it to match

FSG

Quote from: mtnmotorrider on January 02, 2009, 07:38:17 AM
Those bull dog clips work great every time if you just sharpen the ends of the wire so that they slip under the lifter plunger retaining clips.  Use the really large ones, they have the best holding strength.

:up:

hrdtail78

I use the modified clip shown in FBSG pic.  Never heard of a cow magnet before.  That is interesting to say the least.
Semper Fi

crazy joe

Quote from: NightTrain67 on January 01, 2009, 01:57:15 PM
Bob.....give me a call. I have a cool trick for ya.

So whats the secret way the NightTrain 67 has to hold the lifters? : )