May 04, 2024, 06:01:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bike build

Started by dubepj, January 01, 2009, 02:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

Hello Everyone and a Happy New Year to all.
I'm nearing retirement and want to build a bike form frame up with all new parts. I fixed many bikes, both shovels and evos, so i think I know what I'm getting into.
I want something to look old style with a rigid frame and a post Police seat with 16 inch spoke wheels front and back.
The bike would look like an old style pan head but with a newer style power train.  Don't need lots of power, a 1340 engine is fine.
I wonder if you can buy a complete power train with engine, tranny and chain primary drive all ready to install in a frame.  If you guys know where to start looking please let me know.  Thank you.

bikerider58

Rigid with post seat?  Your spine must be that of a much younger person.

I ran rigid for a bunch of years, but the expansion joints on the freeway and pot holes got the better of me.  I now have a pogo on the rigid frame.  I suggest a softail frame with spring tractor seat for the look while still having useful suspension.

I think S&S and Panzer make an Evo - Pan look alike engine.  You could use a Baker 6 speed and maybe a belt primary to give it the style and dry clutch sound.

CL

Check out the driveline packages from Southern Motorcycle Works...They are great people to work with and have really nice complete packages...The new Pans and Knuckles really look great...Talk with randy...

http://www.southern-mc.com/engine-transmission.html

Flat Dog

At $7k for a pan repro (JUST the motor), why not just buy the real deal unrestored? Just wondering.

CraigArizona85248

I've never cared for the "fake" panhead motors at all.  Those SMC motors are not even "reporductions"... they are simple fakes.  They are an Evo with bolt on covers.  If you want Evo power and reliability, nothing wrong with just putting an Evo motor in a old style build.  I've seen a lot of bikes built like that.  They are honest builds.  When someone sticks a panhead fake in a bike I have to walk away.  Can't stand to even look at them.

FAKE...

REAL... and modified to be just as reliable as an Evo.

Rusty Steel

Craig, is that a dual plug? Or I’m I seeing things? Lol..
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

CraigArizona85248

Yes... those are dual plugged heads.  1955 castings.  The dual plugging was added in 2003.

CL