May 09, 2024, 10:18:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary fluid at voltage regulator plug

Started by EL-AL, January 01, 2009, 04:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EL-AL

I was cleaning the regulator and making sure the ground was good,  I unplugged the connector and primary oil came out. I hope I dont have to get into the primary to replace that rubber seal (2000 Softail TC 88).

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
XXX

JBarrettB

Very common. Pressure in the primary is actually forcing the fluid down the wire inside the insulation. Raise the plug if you can, but if it aint dripping out... don't worry about it.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

-SeabrookTrickBagger

What JBB said,
Cable tie the electrical lead to the frame above the level of the plug.  Believe it or not, that is the HD Service bulletin solution.

Seabrook
Seabrook

bouncingVman

January 02, 2009, 06:53:07 AM #3 Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 06:55:17 AM by bouncingVman
........ or piece of cardboard under the bike in the garage. Don't worry about it when its parked in somebody else's driveway, or parking lot  :smilep:

btw- mine does the same thing :teeth:

-BVM
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

EL-AL

There are no stains on the floor and I'm not adding fluid, so I'll tie it up to the frame .... as I used to do with the crankcase breather hose on my 85' Softail. Thanks for the advice! 
XXX