May 09, 2024, 01:00:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Leather Saddlebags - TLC

Started by tinkerman, January 01, 2009, 04:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerman

Hey Folks,

I have been treating the original leather saddle bags on my 88 FLSTC to some leather care applyed to the outside at least a couple of times a year since I got the bike. The bags are in pretty good shape for 20 years old but the bottoms and side  facing the bike are getting pretty stiff and dryed out (the leather in these areas doesn't seem so thick and is of a lesser quality I suspect). I am pretty sure the leather treatment I am using is not adding much moisture or oil to the leather, just creating a waterproofing on the outside.

Any suggestions to a leather treatment I can apply to the inside that would get the leather softened up again and make it more pliable. I have no objection to putting a new set of bags on the bike but I think there are a few years left in the bags I have if I can get the leather reconditioned.

TIA,

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

tinkerman

Was doing a bit of surfing online after I posted and found this site with leather care info. I was actually thinking about mink oil until I read the info as I use mink oil on my leather bush boots. Might snoop around for something else. One more project before I head back to work for a month and that is to breathe new life into the old saddle bags.

Hope this is of some value to some of you.

http://www.chilhowee.net/leather_care.html

Tinkerman

bikerider58

I've used both pure Neatsfoot oil and a bees wax product from Tandy leather as well as Lexol.

Lexol is a more modern product while mink oil, bees wax, neatsfoot oil are older more traditional products. 

Technology being what it is, it is logical to think that the newer Lexol product would be better, but I haven't used it long enough to say.  The lids of my bags dry out from the sun, and I'be been tempted to use Coopertone on them since none of the other products seem to do a good job against the hot sun.

spanners

Try lonolin. we got at least one repected Aussie Bike Journo (Live To ride - John West) Swears by the stuff for many many uses and it's natural to boot.  Does wonders on the eqipment around shearing sheds and on cockies clothing and hands...it's the stuff of folklore down here.

http://www.lanotec.com.au/

tinkerman

Right on,

I off to the local hunting supply shop for some old fashioned leather care product.

As I said I think the new fangled stuff I am using is protecting the leather from the sun and rain, but is doing nothing for the gradual drying of the leather. I kinda like the look of the original bags and the leather is quite heavy so gonna squeeze whatever years I can from them.

Thanks,

Tink

bagga

http://www.pecard.com/  this is what i use. it's made in green bay, wisconsin.
1985 flhtc
1976 fxe

takwolf

I use a product called "Obenaufs", All natural, puts moisture in the leather, protects it, and makes it kinda water resistant. It's the only stuff I use on my whips. :dgust:
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

tinkerman

Picked up some cheap no name stuff which was a combination of mink oil, silicone and bees wax. Used an old shoe brush to lather it on where ever I could get at the leather on the saddle bags, inside and out. Let them sit for a couple of days and went back to give them a rub done and polish to get the residual off. Man, it was all soaked in and the dry parts of the bags, (bottoms and side facing the bike) were much improved, but the overall appearance and feel of the leather all over was definitely more supple and flexible.

Not sure what the stuff was called as I am am on the otherside of the country now but it did a great job. I think any combination of natural moisturizers and will give old leather new life. I guess the silicone is for water proofing - not sure but I have seen it on boot polishes that I have used in the past.

In any case, thanks for the input, always a learning experience here.

Tink

lionsm13

Next time you put any conditioner on your leather goods, blow it in with a hair dryer.
The heat opens up the pores on the leather and the air forces the conditioner into the pores.
Works good on any leather item...