May 01, 2024, 11:31:36 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

? on tune

Started by Diggs223, November 03, 2008, 04:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggs223

bought a used 01 FXDX with just under 5k on it. has  K&N high flow air,  factory exhaust with the baffles pulled out, no other mods. with nothing else done to it could there be too much air flow ?
   eventually thinking of a thunderheader exhaust, but cant right now.   
" I can't " .... means, I don't want to.

FLTRI

Typically the low speed jet and needle are too lean to begin with, but the main is usually plenty rich. Then after opening the intake and exhaust it will run.............yep, you guessed it, leaner....and hotter.
Damage can certainly occur from being too lean and run hard mile after mile on hot days.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

TXChop

Does it pop through the carb and run hot?

Diggs223

no pop. seems to run decent. changed plugs electrodes white

Diggs223

should have said it seems to run ok. just wondering if there was something that i should be looking for. no plans for souping it up, just for a steady ride around town.

DblackmanC

Hey Diggs....I agree, with the changes you say, this bike should be running a little too lean and hot...BUT do you know if or what modifications the first owner may have done to the carb?? The only real way to know is by feel or dyno with AFR check or tear down carb and see what is in there?
Dan
'06 Dyna, 95" Bagger.

Diggs223

no idea what may have been done to the carb. have to look into it.
Thanks all

se

so basically you have streight pipes on there correct....
that is never any good for a motor no back prtessure and its probley real lean.
the only way to really tell is get it on a dyno and do a  afr run that will tell you everything you need to know.
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning