April 27, 2024, 07:06:23 PM

News:

lugging a bike in second gear?

Started by someday69, January 01, 2009, 06:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

someday69

I find myself doing alot of following slow cars, on slow (25mph) roads lately...SOoo I've been wondering ,,,as long as your not hearing any pinging,,,and as your very easy on the throtle....and you atleast try to keep things reasonable,,,,
   Can you lug an engine in second gear???

EZGlider

Lugging in any gear is bad but the lower the gear the more the mechanical advantage and less likely to actually be lugging it.  Technically, I guess, lugging is any time throttle input fails to produce instant response.  I the extreme, it actually feels like the motor is rattling, about to stall but doesn't.

someday69

Ok...well would it be better to run at high rpm in first or low rmp in second??? or the same for second/third???

scoopfraser

On occasion I've forgotten to downshift into first when stopping for a light.  I then started right up in second gear without any ill effects.  It's pretty obvious once you start moving that you're not in first so I generally feather the clutch a little to keep the rpms up.  That being said, the situation will depend on the weight of the rider(s), the bike, the load on the engine etc. but, for me on my FXD it's *pretty* hard to lug in 2nd gear.  I generally shift into 2nd around 25 mph and up so putting around at 25 mph in 2nd seems fine to me. 

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

EZGlider

January 02, 2009, 05:47:17 AM #4 Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 05:50:25 AM by EZGlider
Quote from: someday69 on January 01, 2009, 07:57:52 PM
Ok...well would it be better to run at high rpm in first or low rmp in second??? or the same for second/third???

Lugging doesn't necessarily occur at lower RPMs but occurs when the engine can't overcome the load at a specific rpm.  In other words, depends on the "feel".  IF twisting the throttle doesn't get the rpms up almost instantly, you are lugging it.  That situation might be different for a 180 lb rider , one up and two 250 lb folks riding two up. 

Might be different on an incline too.  I don't think too many people putt around in first gear much and second, under most conditions, seems OK to me even at rpms under 2K. 

Real lugging is when you are cruising along at 2K or so and a hill causes a power loss and lugging.  Opening the throttle doesn't get the rpms up and a downshift is necessary to avoid stalling.  I always try to stay above 2500 rpms while cruising and find the "sweet spot" at around 3K, give or take.

I'm talking about a 5spd. here but the principles apply to any engine really.  Its all about torque curve and loads.
Hope that helps.