May 06, 2024, 09:53:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Blackstone test Redline Vs. M1 V-Twin

Started by Magnumwideglide, January 02, 2009, 02:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnumwideglide

Blackstones liked the Redline over M1.  I tried to post it with personal info deleted but can't figure it out.  Anyway the oil samples had 2,700 miles on them.  Blackstone comments: "Judging by what we found here it looks like this oil (RL) is working better for you than the last (M1).  You can see that all wear improved some in this sample.  The viscosity is a little low for a 20W-50 but that doesn't seem to be a problem.  The TBN was much higher at 7.7 so it appears that this oil starts out at a higher TBN then the last oil you ran."  I told them that I had done a pretty complete oil change by running the oil lines out, but that no doubt some M1 was in with the Redline.  Hopefully that didn't mess up their TBN analysis.  I told them that when I submitted the sample.  Anyway, for what it's worth.

Don D

Very interesting.
You may be surprised to see what the oil cleanliness and TBN number is on fresh oil out of the bottle sampled. :wink:

Magnumwideglide

Sounds like you have some info I need to know.  What's up with the new oil test?

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Seabrook

Don D

It's a pandoras box most won't want to hear nor will believe I'm afraid. :tfhat:

Not straight across the board but oil samples we took when I worked as a mobile equipment manager (Cats and trucks) revealed some bottled oils, major brand, were not entirely clean when new. I ran them because I was getting high numbers from some equipment. Stavely explained that bottled oils sometimes are packaged in dusty bottles. We also found that premature oil changes made the problem worse, as the average oil cleanliness was lower than letting the oil cycle. In other words at about 2k miles in pickups the oil tested nearly as clean as when it went in, I assume at 1k, due to filtering, it was cleaner! The test vehicles were changed in a very careful manor to avoid contamination during filling and all filling equipment was throughly cleaned to avoid skewed results.
I am not sure if any of this applies to the bikes but we saved several big 12K + overhauls on V-12 Detroits by spoting air filter, and air filter plumbing leaks (high silicon), and this kept us sold on the value of SOS program.

Now at the plane factory we buy special ultra clean hydraulic oil for the machines because the oil engineers found similar findings and we now store and distribute bulk oil very carefully, plus it coes in clean.

Kleetus

Quote from: Deweysheads on January 03, 2009, 07:53:59 PM
It's a pandoras box most won't want to hear nor will believe I'm afraid. :tfhat:

Not straight across the board but oil samples we took when I worked as a mobile equipment manager (Cats and trucks) revealed some bottled oils, major brand, were not entirely clean when new. I ran them because I was getting high numbers from some equipment. Stavely explained that bottled oils sometimes are packaged in dusty bottles. We also found that premature oil changes made the problem worse, as the average oil cleanliness was lower than letting the oil cycle. In other words at about 2k miles in pickups the oil tested nearly as clean as when it went in, I assume at 1k, due to filtering, it was cleaner! The test vehicles were changed in a very careful manor to avoid contamination during filling and all filling equipment was throughly cleaned to avoid skewed results.
I am not sure if any of this applies to the bikes but we saved several big 12K + overhauls on V-12 Detroits by spoting air filter, and air filter plumbing leaks (high silicon), and this kept us sold on the value of SOS program.

Now at the plane factory we buy special ultra clean hydraulic oil for the machines because the oil engineers found similar findings and we now store and distribute bulk oil very carefully, plus it coes in clean.

Don,
It was a pleasure talking with you the other night. I've always wanted to do some oil sampling on my bikes but never seem to have the time. I'm a firm believer in the synthetic oils after using it (Amsoil) exclusively in the dresser for 5 years & 120K with no broke engine parts. BTW I'll be calling you very soon about those heads. I did speak with Chaz at Axtell the next day and he seems to be in tune with the HD world. It's gonna be good!

Happy New year...Kleetus

Magnumwideglide

Thanks Deweysheads.  Now with 2700 miles on the oil, with new filters, seems like that would eliminate some dust etc from containers.  Either way, with the higher TBN, seems like the Redline came in first though right?  At least Blackstones figured it that way.  I kind of wanted to get away from Exxon Mobil for obvious reasons.

NtTrain

Magnumwideglide

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50.  Like I said I wanted to post the report, but couldn't do what I want. 

Faast Ed

I didn't care for the "viscosity" comment.  I wonder just "How low"?

Not arguing against Redline because I have run it for a long time and currently have it in my bike.  Viscosity issues don't help a thing.
Sure wish you were able to post those results for further dissecting.
≡Faast Ed>

Don D

There is a faction that believes syn causes heat and doesn't hold viscosity straight across the board, all brands, and they suggest using 50-60w dino oil. Logic is that aeration of the oil causes lifter bleed and less than complete exhaust, added heat and a viscious cycle of entrained air. :crook:

Faast Ed

QuoteThere is a faction that believes syn causes heat and doesn't hold viscosity straight across the board, all brands,

His post implied that the M1 held the viscosity better.
≡Faast Ed>

Jeffd

I do the blackstone lab analysis and I use Vtwin 20-50 and Shell Rotella 15-40 and they test out nearly identical. The Rotella actually ends up being the same viscosity as the 20-50.  Both have excellent tbn's after 5000 miles, the Rotella flash point is higher.  both come back with Blackstone telling me to extend the oil change interval.  

do a google search of bobtheoilguy and there is a winters full of reading.  I have posted the results comparing the two on that site somewhere.

Magnumwideglide

I'll try to figure out how to post it, with some info deleted.

GoFast.....

Everyone knows harley oil is the best for a harley :wink:
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

fxstdavew

Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

PosseRider

Quote from: GoFast..... on January 05, 2009, 01:21:52 AM
Everyone knows harley oil is the best for a harley :wink:

YEAHHH. and if you don't believe it ask HD !!!  :hyst: :potstir: :duel:
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio

HDRDR

January 05, 2009, 05:57:43 PM #17 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:25:46 PM by HDRDR
I only know one thing, I use M1 V Twin 20-50 and Redline Heavy Shock in the tranny. HD primary....and my temps in so cali running this works for me! I am sticking with it :beer: