May 08, 2024, 01:32:10 PM

News:

Inexpensive Customizing tips

Started by Guitarplayer, January 02, 2009, 08:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarplayer

Wanted to start a thread to see what kind of inexpensive customizing can be done at home.  I can share a few things that I've done before that you may or may not have allready done.

Have you ever installed your new stage one air cleaner kit and wonder what to do with the unfinished edge around the back of your air cleaner cover?  I have.  A roll of chrome door edge guard available at most any autoparts store works great!  It also works well in place of your black rubber dash seal as well as the rubber seals on the rear fender struts.

Another cool tip is to bury all your switch wires inside your stock handle bars.  you wouldn't think it makes much of a difference, but Wow it sure does.  If you've got a drill, alot of patience, and a fridge full of beer, this will cost you nothing except your time.   

scoutflhx

a 3/8" chrome toilet water supply line can be cut to length and will slide right over shifter rod
"It is what it is"

someday69

I think there is another kind of customize'in,,,too....instead of make'in everything show room quality,,,,I started trying to do all the funtional upgrades...then as I did'nt have lots of extra cash...I found lots of old used parts...now my bike has what most "bikers" who have newer shine-eerr bikes would/might call -= rat bike look....but it is dressed down....kind'a...

Like for instance I saved up for the baker DD6,,but I hide the tell tale chrome signiture,with black tape...it's a security thing for me....SOoo anyway I do have some chrome but I got it barter/trade cause it was defect a little bit...but hey its great for me....
            See what I mean...sometimes a bike is more than what you can see......and for me I have to try to keep it all hid..

Don't know if it really works,,but maybe it will not draw unwanted atention...

As for move'in the wires into the bars...I just got'a do that...someday..

road-dawgs1

Quote from: scoutflhx on January 02, 2009, 05:58:19 PM
a 3/8" chrome toilet water supply line can be cut to length and will slide right over shifter rod
:wwp:
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Ultraman

January 02, 2009, 07:34:46 PM #4 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:34:52 AM by Ultraman
Oh I agree... I just got ta see that 3/8 plumbing bit & the taped up tranny..........Please!!! :hyst:
07 Nightrain 103"   Calgary Canada   Gigity Gigity Gooooo!

Old Crow

Quote from: scoutflhx on January 02, 2009, 05:58:19 PM

Heh, I used a piece of stainless steel brake line I had left over from a project at work.  5 minutes on the buffer and it looks like chrome.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Wingnut

Chrome supply line bit works great, I did it years ago.   Lots of great parts at Home Depot.

Once took a Harley Davidson belt buckle, ground off the clasp and made a great dent cover.
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

Big_Bulky_RK

I've found that having a friend that likes to change chrome yearly will provide you with some great deals.
A Black marker will hide the pink (red) color wire marker on your starter wire. And high temp black paint will make all the zinc plated clamps and hardware that rust on your exhaust look better too. 
The one thing that I've seen the most of is that we all have our own idea of what we want our bike to look like.  Most of our bikes are unique in their own way, but all have one thing in common......... It is our own recreation, and it's the little things that many don't notice that are the most ingenious.
Michigan,    Pot Hole Capital of the US

Sonny S.

Cheapest way to customize your bike and not be like everyone else....... remove stuff instead of adding it   :wink:

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: Sonny S. on January 03, 2009, 07:49:27 PM
Cheapest way to customize your bike and not be like everyone else....... remove stuff instead of adding it   :wink:

LOL... I was just about to make the exact same suggestion.  Less is often more.

-Craig

robgogo

I use a black sharpie to "touch my cool black powerder coat" (keep it in my tool pouch)

harleyjt

I use some touchup paint to color in the stamped "Harley-Davidson" script on the chrome passenger floorboard covers to match the bike.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

scoutflhx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh I agree... I just got ta see that 3/8 plumbing bit & the taped up tranny..........Please!!!

Hey it worked for me,and 75 bucks the stealer did not get........Please!!!!!  :wtf

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
"It is what it is"

fxstdavew

Sonny S. has it right , cheapest way to make your bike quicker
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

Kansas

The cheapest way to customize a bike is to sit in the Lazy Boy, drink a cold one, and page through the J P and Harley Accesory Catalogs.  Thinking about all that stuff is a lot more fun than actually owning it.   :teeth:

scoutflhx

"It is what it is"

mark61

My catalog is by the toilet , prices for that shinny "Potty mouth" being what they are.....

mark61

Memnar

Quote from: mark61 on January 04, 2009, 05:37:25 PM
  My catalog is by the toilet , prices for that shinny "Potty mouth" being what they are.....

mark61

and added at the beginning of the posts - "a 3/8" chrome toilet water supply line"

I'm seeing a trend here....

Maybe OCC can do a toilet bike theme.. :hyst:
Albuquerque, NM.

quikbike

Scout dust off them trophy s once in a while would you
I hate snow

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: Memnar on January 04, 2009, 05:56:13 PM

Do they do any other kind of theme?   :hyst:

Sonny S.

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on January 06, 2009, 03:08:40 PM
Quote from: Memnar on January 04, 2009, 05:56:13 PM

Do they do any other kind of theme?   :hyst:

LMAO   :up:

OCC  ..... Orange County Crappers

tireater

How about a ss and glass air cleaner cover for my Ness BS 2 made out of a pot lid from the stove...
I cut the lip off. It holds a CD just dandy...Cost <$3.00...And it works !

Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Sonny S.

harleyjt

Quote from: tireater on January 06, 2009, 03:47:09 PM
How about a ss and glass air cleaner cover for my Ness BS 2 made out of a pot lid from the stove...
I cut the lip off. It holds a CD just dandy...Cost <$3.00...And it works !

Thats different!!   :up:
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

tireater

Me and a buddy heat and beat this on an anvil. I have $25 + powdercoat in it...
The lack of padding helps keep the g/f close...And no...It is NOT a theme bike....

tireater

How about $5.00 cafe mirrors ?....Tapped and then welded metal slugs in the end of the bars...
Heat and beat the stems 90 deg and then reversed them. No more looking at my jacket...They work !

tireater

How about chain struts on a swingarm mounted fender...$5 + powdercoat and an hour ea. of labor...
Bent a welding rod to get the shape...Used non galv. steel chain from hardware store...
I nailed the chain to a 2 by 4 to match shape on welding rod..Stick welding...
It took the most time smoothing the welds with a grinder - sander...
I would say it is a very small tribute to Indian Larry...R.I.P. and it looks tough...