April 27, 2024, 12:02:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Evolution of a Harley Owner

Started by Guitarplayer, January 02, 2009, 08:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarplayer

Gawd its hard to believe that this coming April I've owned my first 05' RK Custom for 4yrs. Seems just like yesterday when I anxiously picked it up from my dealer.  I remember staying up late at night going thru my Harley Accessary book wanting to buy just about everything in it...lol  I had the mindset that I wanted only Geniune Harley parts, and purchased just about every chrome cover imaginable.

My second year of ownership evolved into replacing the Chrome covers with the acual chrome parts.  more expensive, but I thought it was worth the investment.  they were still Harley parts, but I was now searching websites and discovering that there are hundreds of cool parts for Harleys with much better quality chrome and craftmanship.  All of a sudden I wasn't conserned about having original parts anymore.

My third year had evolved even more.  I was now sending out parts for chrome that I couldn't buy, and am blessed with a friend that can make custom stainless pieces and parts that Harley felt they needed to paint black or zinc plate.  I've also contacted a few company's direct that offer parts for other makes to see if they can special order.  Its amazing how many that will !  One things for sure,  owning a Harley has been a life changing experience and I have no idea of what next years evolution will be?  am I looking forward to it?  Hell yeah !

Admiral Akbar

I'm not one of those buy American types.. but am hooked on motorcycles.. Have been most of my life.. The nice thing about HD is the aftermarket.. You can build a 1948 U model if desired with all new parts. Most parts will be better than the original.. You can't do that with a 30 year old Japanese bike.. Max..   

1JITSU1

Guitarplayer  You are right about a life changing experience.  When I bought mine in 06
                   just wanted to take a ride now and then. No gear just a helmet and gloves.
                   I didnt tell her or anybody I was buying it. When I got home with it she said
                   she will never get on. That saturday I got her on and now I cant  get her off
                    Needless-to-say We got it all and ride all year long.  :up:

Bigs

Finally convinced my wife I needed to get a motorcycle after our son was on his own. It was 28 years since my last one and all I wanted was a bike to putz around on. Living in York, PA I thought I might as well get a Harley. I looked around for a good used Sportster for a reasonable price but couldn't find one so I convinced the wife I might as well buy a new one, that was in March 2005. Well the Sportster worked out fairly well until I modified it. She complained it took off like a rocket and was to loud. To make the wife happy again I told her it would be more comfortable riding if we got a touring bike. So in August 2007 we got a used '06 Road glide and so far she likes it as long as I don't take off to fast and keep it under 75mph. The next Harley will be a Tri-Glide but she says I have to get rid of the two Harleys I have now.
   Bigs

Last bikes were 2 BMW's, Honda, BMW(totaled), 3 Yamahas, Honda, Benelli, Sunbeam/sidecar(in England), and Paralla.

Kansas

In November I sold my 1994 Low Rider.  Over time I had changed about all that there could be.  In fact, I was shocked when I pulled out the file when I placed the ad for it and saw how much money that had been dropped on the thing.  The one thing that I couldn't get right was finding an exhaust sytem that was quiet enough for my aging hearing.  Last summer I test rode a new Heritage Softail that had a pleasant soft rumble.  Well, there is the solution, so I am ordering a new Softy Deluxe soon.  I'm keeping everything bone stock.  Now there is an evolution.

PoorUB

Not everyone gets bit by the chrome bug! Most guys I ride with their bikes are pretty close to stock, maybe pipes, AC and tune, but no extra chrome. When I bought my Ultra in '05 I added highway pegs, lugage rack on the trunk, and a riders back rest. Later on I added XM radio. I have SE mufflers for a short time, then put the stockers back on. The bike stayed this way until this winter when I added a 95", cams and the new style chains and tensioners.
I really don't care what my bike looks like, within reason. I like to keep it clean, but don't let a few bugs or road grime bother my if it is time to ride. The factory Chrome and paint is fine with me. I can't see most of that stuff while running down the road anyway!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

No1eman

I bought my bike in 2002. It was my first harley, its a 1995 wideglide. I LOVE my bike. I bought it to cruise around on, maybe go back and forth to work. I was single at the time. I went from riding about 3000 miles a year to putting almost 20000 miles on it the last two years. I got married a year after I got my bike, and my wife loves to ride. I've been doing more and more trips. You should see how I pack this thing up! LOL! I NEED a dresser, but right now I really don't want to spend the money. I won't give up the wide glide to do it either! LOL! I also have added alot of chrome, but I also go for function too. I needed saddle bags, so I used those ghost brackets so that I can take them off. I put a 9 spoke aluminum rim in front to improve the riding when we go to tennessee (big difference from stock). I also put on some turn signal mirrors, and python staggered duals,and am currently fine tuning my carb. Somebody on here posted a video of how their bike sounds with a new cam...LOL..I told my wife, "well, thats it, I need a new cam"...as usual she just rolled her eyes, and told me to make sure the bike was ready for when the weather gets nice!

littlefrank

I enjoyed reading that. I have only been a Harley owner for 7 months. My brother, knowing I've been wanting a bike, but financing one at the time was not going to happen. I'm sitting at home when the phone rings. Hey bro my friend has a nice 97 Fatboy he wants to sell. Still this does not matter to me because ya still have to come up with the funds. But I asked for the price anyway. I had to tell him no can do. Then I get hit with this. This friend of my brothers will carry the paper, just come get it. I was on the road to Palm Desert. We worked out the payments, then he hands me the pink and says enjoy it. I am still in disbelief of this myself. I have this 97 Fatboy with only 8000 miles on it, and the pink slip. Sure is nice to know that there are people like this left in the world. I have no words to describe the feeling when I'm riding this bike alone or with my friends. I've already turned 12000 miles. Even though I had rode before, I took the advice of my friend and completed the safety course offered here in California. Well worth it. Saves money on insurance too. So Happy new year to all and safe riding.

rihdrkc

My story is similar. Bought mine in December 2000, had it delivered in January 2001. First motorcycle, bought a new Road King Classic. I looked at that damn catalog just about every day, like I did the Sears Wishbook when I was a kid. Did the same thing as you, started replacing and adding chrome. I continued adding and upgrading for the last seven years, about 11,000 dollars worth. Along the way I realized that I like riding it more than cleaning, so after 80,000 miles, some of that chrome isn't as shiny as it once was. I have to admit though, there are still some things that are on the to do (get) list.
Enjoy your bike! :teeth:

Phu Cat

I took the advice of my friend and completed the safety course offered

Smart move, Little Frank.  Yer not an expert yet, but you're in a lot better place than had you not of taken the course.  Keep practicing every time you go out.  Don't forget you're invisible to a lot of people as you'll have to think for them, too.  You'll likely learn as much here as ya did in that safety course.  Good luck.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

98roadking

I bought mine in '01, used Police bike from a police officer. He had bought it direct from a police dept. and started adding chrome. I left it for a while and after washing it a few times started taking the chrome off. Started with the fender bumpers, the I redid the back end. I took off the bag guards and added the Ness extended fender and bags kit. I replaced the stock tail lightand blinkers with a tombstone tail light and Ness license plate frame with built in turn signals. After I got everything cut and fitted I traded labor with a friend that did the painting, keeping the black and white theme, put an orange pinstripe between the black and white. A lot less chrome and nooks and crammies to clean. My son-in-law wanted to buy me something for it for Christmas, so he was looking at it and decided the only thing on it that wasn't chrome, that was silver, was the clutch and brake levers. So that is what he got me.