April 27, 2024, 01:40:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

OT : DIAL CALIPERS

Started by Sonny S., January 02, 2009, 11:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny S.

Well, my 26 year old Craftsman 6" dial caliper finally died this morning. It was actually made by Mitutoyo....been good to me.
I'm not a machinest but accuracy is important.
This isn't tax deductable and I ain't rich.  :wink:

Got any suggestions for a decent unit ?
I'm thinking I would rather buy a high quality used piece rather than a cheap new one. Good or bad idea ?
Maybe digital this time...dunno.
Saw a few Brown & Sharpe calipers that looked reasonable on Flea Bay.
I do have 2 Mitutoyo Dial indicators and a Mitutoyo Mic, and I'm happy with them so Mit could be another option.

thanks,
Sonny

hrdtail78

I would look into Enco.com or something simular.  They sell fowlers and others.  Still have the dials myself.  Probably go digital next time.  People I know with digital ones forget how to read the dials ones.  If you are getting down to the nats butt, get some micrometers.
Semper Fi

tireater

I have a digital made by SPI...It's a Digimax 30-440-2...Std or metric...Made by the Swiss...Works good...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

HroadhogD1

Mitutoyo is a very good brand  (they are accurate)  but as stated above a micrometer is even more accurate.  You get what you pay for.  Fowler will work, but probably won't last as long or be as accurate, but still not bad   JHO   Allen

mark61

What happened to the old one?  What broke or is not working? There are people/places/parts to fix these.   

mark61

JimB

Brown & Sharpe, Mitutoya & Starrett are all excellent units and when I was in the aerospace field, these three were the only ones approved to use. It all depends on the accuracy you desire... most good calipers are only good for +/- .001 anyways. My cheap Harbour Freight tool box calipers are good for +/- .003, which for reference stuff is close enough.

Most good Micrometers are good to +/- .0005 or better

Sonny S.

Quote from: mark61 on January 02, 2009, 12:37:07 PM
   What happened to the old one?  What broke or is not working? There are people/places/parts to fix these.   

mark61

Yep...and I'm one of them  :teeth:

What happened was about 15 years ago the thumb wheel broke. Then about 10 years ago the dial lock broke. Zero also hasn't been at 12:00 closed in a while. Then this morning the stop at the end broke off an the caliper would come a part, and I just figured it was time for new. The jaws are still in excellent shape though.
Well I decided to take it all a part and see what I could do.
I'd still like to get a new one but at least now there isn't a sense of urgency.....maybe wait another 10 years or so  :wink:
I agree, a good set of mics is great to have but I still don't want to go with out calipers.

we like pix...lol

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Sonny S.

BTW.... thanks for all the input   :up:

Scramjet

Quote from: FastAire on January 02, 2009, 02:02:19 PM
Brown & Sharpe, Mitutoya & Starrett are all excellent units and when I was in the aerospace field, these three were the only ones approved to use. It all depends on the accuracy you desire... most good calipers are only good for +/- .001 anyways. My cheap Harbour Freight tool box calipers are good for +/- .003, which for reference stuff is close enough.

Most good Micrometers are good to +/- .0005 or better

Yup, what Jim said.  I have been in QA for aerospace, gearing and navy nuclear for a career.  Only get the top brands.  Brown&Sharpe, Mitutoyo or Starrett.  By the way, try pawn shops.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

road-dawgs1

January 02, 2009, 03:07:17 PM #9 Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 03:08:56 PM by road-dawgs1
mscdirect.com is where I got mine.  They have SPI, Browne & Sharp, Starret, etc.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Bigs

I have the exact same calipers which I bought in 1969 to measure rifle cases for reloading. They got a lot of use when I worked at DuPont in electroplating. I was always careful to keep them clean and put them back in the case when I was finished. They still are in great condition. I think I paid $40 for them from Sears. They were calibrated a few times and were always in spec.
   Bigs

Fugawee

I bought a set of various sized Inside and Outside Mic's, and Calipers from a Retired Machinist that worked for Pratt and Whitney Aircraft. They are all Starrett, originally made in the 60's. I had them recalibrated about a year ago and were all still within specs.

FXDBI

If its Craftsman take it back its guaranteed for life they will replace it for you has long has it says craftsman on it.

PoorUB

Ditch the dial and go digital. Many options to go with. Even the cheap ones are pretty good. I know guys that have the Cheapo Harbor Fieght calipers and are satisfied with them.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Showdog75

I've got a nice Starrett 0 - 6" I'll take $50 for , you pay shipping . 

Diggs223

not trying to pick on you, but sounds like you've been using them as a hammer to have all them pieces fall off.   :potstir:
suppose they fell of the bench a few times.  :smileo:
" I can't " .... means, I don't want to.

mayor

Man, I thought I was the only one still using dial calipers.   :teeth:  after the damage you've inflicted on those calipers.....looks like I might be the last one...  :wink: 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Sonny S.

January 02, 2009, 09:44:53 PM #17 Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:53:40 PM by Sonny S.
Quote from: Diggs223 on January 02, 2009, 07:36:58 PM
not trying to pick on you, but sounds like you've been using them as a hammer to have all them pieces fall off.   :potstir:
suppose they fell of the bench a few times.  :smileo:

It's a Craftsman..... you mean I wasn't supposed to use it as a hammer ?  :crook:    :wink:

PoorUB

Quote from: mayor on January 02, 2009, 08:26:56 PM
Man, I thought I was the only one still using dial calipers.   :teeth:  after the damage you've inflicted on those calipers.....looks like I might be the last one...  :wink: 

I have you all beat! I have a vernier caliper that I still use. It is fun to give it to a "modern day" machinist and ask him to measure something. A vernier caliper does not mind some dirt, and the battery never dies!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Sonny S.

Quote from: PoorUB on January 02, 2009, 09:47:08 PM
Quote from: mayor on January 02, 2009, 08:26:56 PM

I have you all beat! I have a vernier caliper that I still use. It is fun to give it to a "modern day" machinist and ask him to measure something. A vernier caliper does not mind some dirt, and the battery never dies!

:up: yup...got a coupla them too. Although the dial caliper is my go to tool to quick measure damn near everything.
Guess that's why it never makes it back in the case.... and bad things happen

truck

:up: To veinier and a STRONG magnifying glass. :embarrassed:
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Tom

Over the years I've probably used calipers from all teh major manufacturers. Vernier, dial, and digital. My mainstay has been the Starrett 6" No. 120a. I own 3 of them and keep one handy on my desk at work and at home. I favor that model not because I believe its 'best' but it just feels right in my hand. I just bought a Brown&Sharp dura-cal digital and it's pretty darn nice feeling as well and does some nifty tricks the others can't do. Lastly even tho I'm generally Mr. buy American MSC ran a sale. A 2 piece set of Chinese 'Aerospace' made dial calipers both 6" and 12" for 20 bucks. I have to say there are decent calipers and those are what I keep down in the garage for general purpose quick measurements. Lastly here is a link to Long Island Indicator Repair Service with a comparison of all the major brands. We use them to repair our precision tools.

http://longislandindicator.com/p11.html

Scramjet

I have said it once but it is worth repeating.  Try your local pawn shop.  Maybe not in non-manufacturing cities but in Cleveland every pawn shop has about a dozen different digital, dial or vernier calipers.  Drop indicators, Hight stand type dial indicators and many others.

They can be a good deal if you know what to look for and look for excess play and/or damage.  Obviously calibration is not included so you are taking some chances.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

Justpassingas

Hey Sonny....I'm a machinist by trade and I've got a few pairs of 6" Brown & Sharp dial verniers like new with case you can have....you pay for the shipping....e-mail me at

Shuv69@comcast.net   for the details
For Duty and Humanity

Lino

I've used just about every brand out there and have always been partial to Starrett. Sturdy and have a good "feel" to them. I agree about checking out your local pawn shops. Reading vernier calipers is becoming a lost skill. I've got about 20 guys in my shop and I don't think any of the younger ones can read them. I've got a 48" vernier caliper I drag out some times just to screw with them.