April 27, 2024, 01:30:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

OT/ HVAC

Started by hotham, January 02, 2009, 02:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotham

Heat pump, 10 years old.  New cold start kit installed 1 1/2 years ago.  Now, I set the thermostat at 71/72 but house only warms up to 66/67 degrees.  Honeywell thermostat said it needed new batteries, so I put some in.  Same problem.  Does that sound like a thermostat problem or what?  HELP, it's cold in here!!

truck

Turn it up to 76* and see if the unit is capable of more.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

PoorUB

Quote from: trück on January 02, 2009, 03:44:23 PM
Turn it up to 76* and see if the unit is capable of more.

That thermostat on the wall is not a throttle! It don't heat any faster the father you turn it up!

Hotham.
What is the temp outside? Colder than usual? Ya know those heat pumps taper off on heating output as the outside temps drop. Also, how clean are the out door coils? Frosted up? Maybe the defrost control went tits up. if it is frosted over turn the AC setpoint down far enough that the AC kicks in and run it for a few minutes, then change back over to heat.
lot of variables, tough to trouble shoot over the 'net!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

fourthgear

Some call the kick start kits and if some one put one in , the compressor had a hard time starting to begin with( not a good thing , putting a band aid on the problem ). You should have aux. heat strips or defrost strips , they come into play when the outside unit is in defrost and you system changes over to air conditioning and those heat strips temper the air to keep you from getting too cold and help defrost the out side unit  , depending where you live the could got up to 20kw (usually 5 or 10 kw ) , they should be on if you are that far away from set point and depending on a lot of factors (how cold is it outside and how big of house you have )things to check ,

Is the outside unit frosted up?
Is the out door (condenser fan ) running ?(it will shut down if in defrost mode , but compressor will still be running )
can you here the compressor running ?
If so , are any of the copper lines outside or at your air handle hot or warm ?( the larger of the two should be if its in heat mode and all is working correctly )
I'm sure by now you have called a service tech  to look at it , it could be some thing small like a capacitor or contactor and it could also be a bad thermostat.
Good luck and call a tech. ,if you have not already.

Panzer

Put the thermostat on "emergency heat".
See if that helps or changes the room temp.
I think heat pumps only work down to 28 degrees then the strip heaters take over.
Get the blankets ready & huddle up to the little woman.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

HV

I live in the great white North ... LOL  my 3 Ton Rheem works to 0 F before in goes on Emergency back up coils .. but its a new R410 unit ....its efficiency below 25F drops off fast though at 0 F it runs almost continusly but will keep the house at close to 70 F
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Phu Cat

I'm no heating and air guy, PoorUB, but have seen enough controllers go bad to wonder if setting the 'set point' higher might not give a clue to the actual problem.  It the thermostat is not digital, it may be satisfied at too low of a temperature and shut the compressor down prematurely giving HH uncomfortable living conditions.  It's something easy and cheap to try before spending money on other things that may not work either.  Besides, ya never know what you try that may give a clue to the actual problem.  Good luck, 'Ham.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

shovelmonster76

If the t-stat is mercury filled non digital, it might need to be calibrated. Turn it up see if it comes on. If it runs and is not heating, check your outdoor unit to see if compressor is running,it should have cold air blowing out of top of coil. Could be a number of things.
Watch out for those Alligators