May 06, 2024, 04:57:53 AM

News:

21" verses 19" front wheel for Dyna

Started by rossl, January 03, 2009, 07:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rossl

I have a 2000 FXDS.  The Bike has the stock black/silver aliminmum wheels.  I've been thinking about new wheels.  I like the look of the 21" wheel for the front.

I am also considering a set of chromed stock wheels.

I never rode a bike with 21" wheels.  Does this have a big affect on ride/handling?

I don't usually use this bike for longer trips, I have an Road King for that type riding.

ClassicRider2002

January 03, 2009, 07:56:08 AM #1 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:58:56 AM by ClassicRider2002
rossl~~~
"......I never rode a bike with 21" wheels.  Does this have a big affect on ride/handling?....."

This is a topic where you can walk away totally confused if you are truly searching for what is best.....given time within this thread you will see both the 19" and 21"recommended with what seems like very logical reasons and at the end of the day nothing will seem to make sense.

I will say this, I have owned a 2003 FXDL (Dyna Low Rider) of which I have since sold and did come with a 19" front wheel, and I currently own a 1999 FXR2 of which comes with a 21" tire and I changed to a 19" wheel.

My riding environment is mountain canyons which has the opportunity for a lot of cornering, some of which are 70 mph sweeping curves while others are naturally a maxium of 20 mph curves....and everything in between.  Keeping in mind that Valinto Rossi is doing the real performance riding, lol, here is my take:

I like the feel of the 19", it handles better in my opinion, it's a bit more "substantial" of a foot print and seems to have a bit less flex within the wheel, it also handles different road conditions like debri, cracks, and any small holes in the road with more comfort.  It also provides less road feedback into your arms and is simply a smoother ride.  As for appearance.....it's totally subjective....and one likes what one likes......

I have retained the 21" wheel in my attic in case after making the switch I would desire going back to the 21" and it hasn't been on since......

I am quite happy with the 19" profile, and performance on my 1999 FXR2.  I was also very satisfied with the 19" on my FXDL.

In conclusion I feel your riding enviornment will determine much of your opinion as it does other's as well...if you live in the flat lands and go state line to state line in a straight line merely pulling U turns to do it all over again.....your experience with a 21" might be quite favorable, if you find yourself in riding enviornments that are unique and different such as the mountains then perhaps your experience with the 21" wheel vs the 19" might have differing view points.....

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

DblackmanC

Classic...nailed it!! You don't need to read any more.
'06 Dyna, 95" Bagger.

Rusty Steel

January 03, 2009, 09:06:44 PM #3 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:11:59 PM by Rusty Steel
Lol Classic..  :up:
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

kybagger

imo I'd keep the 19,I didn't like the way a 21 handled after installing one on a fxr,so save some money and keep the 19.

barny7655

Its your choice ill remind you the 21 inch has more road grip into corners than the 19 inch as to the foot print, as its tyre diameter is larger , it still has the same   angle area of contact into corners as to the 19, only more rubber on the road as to its diameter, the only thing is the frame neck angle ,tree angle etc to set up  on your bike,not being a soft tail, alot will argue but this has been on before on the old site , and was proven the 21 inch wheel has far more contact to the road surface ,straight riding or into the corners, others might chime in ,any ways you will make your own mind up , ive seen people put 19 on a soft tail,doesnt do any thing for me , i love the 21 on the softail , have had riden plenty with 19 inch front bikes.each to there own, thats why HD has more than one model lol ,a solid 21 front does work wonders to , have one one my deuce with twin discs, cheers  Barny
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

FLTRI

Sorry Barney, gotta agree with Classic here. While the appearant contact patch would logically be longer, the 19 inch, because it is normally wider, has as much contact patch as the 21.

Speaking of Valentino Rossi, did it ever x your mind as to why roadracing bikes use 16"-17" tires rather than 21" tires? If 21" tires provide more contact patch and worked better in the turns, I guarantee you every racer would have them on their bikes.

21" tires are for good for the "look" but can't compete in the handling dept with 19"ers.

Classic lives and probably breathes the turns with his bike(s) and you gotta give 'em credit for his opinions. His findings are parallel with mine, kybagger, Rusty Steel, and DblackmanC. I believe you will find if/as this thread continues there are more with the same experience(s).
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

barny7655

i agree with some of your comments but as to  the  racer ,uses the centre of gravity to lower the bike ,there fore the handling is better,he has brake rotors etc to handle as well, but we arnet there on the track we are indeed on the road, not a racing ashfelt surface either ,the only short fall is the distance between the two points of contact on both wheels ,but if i wanted a 19 inch wheel id bye the bike that has it to suit the frame ,neck angle trees etc ,the narrowness of the 21 inch still contacts the same area as the 19 on lean angles, but more as to surface contact on the road ,the roll over contact in width  is the same, due to the formation of the tyre,may be in a straight line may be less, ive never lost a 21 inch wheel yet , but i suppose its all in the tyres,brand , pressure etc , buts thats another subject called maintaining ones wheels,alot have been putting them on sportsters on the front with great success, but proberly for looks more so than handling , cheers good post , Barny

FLTRI

Quote from: barny7655 on January 04, 2009, 11:34:16 PM
i agree with some of your comments but as to  the  racer ,uses the centre of gravity to lower the bike ,there fore the handling is better,he has brake rotors etc to handle as well, but we arnet there on the track we are indeed on the road, not a racing ashfelt surface either ,the only short fall is the distance between the two points of contact on both wheels ,but if i wanted a 19 inch wheel id bye the bike that has it to suit the frame ,neck angle trees etc ,the narrowness of the 21 inch still contacts the same area as the 19 on lean angles, but more as to surface contact on the road ,the roll over contact in width  is the same, due to the formation of the tyre,may be in a straight line may be less, ive never lost a 21 inch wheel yet , but i suppose its all in the tyres,brand , pressure etc , buts thats another subject called maintaining ones wheels,alot have been putting them on sportsters on the front with great success, but proberly for looks more so than handling , cheers good post , Barny

Good points in this!  :up:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

deathwish

While the handling and many tire choices would lean toward the 19" there is another problem missed by most people. Most people judge the 21" by the HD they road with Harley's lousey choice of putting that skinny ass Skidlop (opps DUMBlop) tire on the front. If you switch to the Avon 90/90/21 which gives you a larger foot print and a better (as far as grip) rubber compound you will be shocked at the difference in handling. Unless you absoulutly push your bike to the limits the 21" will be every bit as good as the 19". I have 3 big inch power bikes, 2 with 21" and one 19" and it really makes little difference. If I was into high corner speeds I'd select a bike other than HD or I would build a special Sportster.

barny7655

I use a venom  avon tyre 21 inch its awsome , before that the older style metzler made in germany, both good tyres on the deuce, alot of yes good points  to this post , as i have a alloy rim on front it is a little better than the older spoke,good valued point from death wish , love to have that many bikes ,but have ridden them all, my deuce suits me , if a want to borrow another HD i can  but the deuce keeps up  with them all even through the corners, may be its all in the handling , the shocks , tyres and pressures etc, all lean towards a rewarding ride , its what we are all about here maintaining our bikes ,its called Harley Tech Talk ,its rewarding to be able to have a say, but have a read then  evaluate, then repost there replies,as we are here to live to ride in the safest manner we can,even if its fast , cheers, Barny