Changing cam tensioners, do I have to remove cams?

Started by rossl, January 03, 2009, 07:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rossl

I've got 45,000 miles on my 04.  I remember reading that there is a way to change both tensioners without removing the cams.  Is this true?  How do your the rear one off/on without removing the cams from the plate?

Bear

As near as I know the cams have to come out.          Dave

RK101

Don't see how you could do it without taking them out. Good time to up grade those inner bearings as long as you have the cams out.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Faast Ed

We banged our heads on the wall trying to pull that off last winter on a freinds bike. He even made a special tool.

In the end we had to pull the cams off the plate to install the inner tensioner.
≡Faast Ed>

Herko

Ditto.
You'll spend more time trying to save time.
Cams out of the plate.
New inner and outer bearings...done right.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

RK101

As long as you're in there, might as well put new upgraded cams in also.  Perfect time to do it.  :teeth:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

rossl

NtTrain

Six Blues

I think you can only inspect the inner without removing the plate, but you can't change it.

FSG

Quote from: NtTrain on January 03, 2009, 04:22:43 PM
DO NOT mix the camplate and cam cover bolts.

+1 here and be careful torquing #1 and #2 cam plate bolts which go through alignment dowels only the tip of the bolt bites into threads.  A comparison pic is below with the blue box being the thread engagement and the lower bolt being through a dowel.

If your interested there's another thread active on the use of studs in place of the bolts in the dowel locations.

jazzman713

im getting ready to change over to the new cam conversion kit this road king only has 6000 miles on it should i change out the inner and outer bearings as well being that we will be in there if so what kind do you use and how much are they thanks

Faast Ed

January 04, 2009, 07:38:57 AM #11 Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:40:39 AM by Faast Ed
There are no 'outer' bearings on the new style cams.

I'd change the inners because they don't cost much ($7 each), your cams will be out of the way, and the new bearings are built better than the oem bearings.
≡Faast Ed>