April 27, 2024, 12:41:57 AM

News:

OT Phone line...

Started by tireater, January 03, 2009, 08:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tireater

Since I switched to Verizon, my computer is off line half the time due to connection problems...
The computer does better if I play with the connection outside where it goes from 2 wire to 4...
Can I replace to 4 wire phone line with a larger 2 wire line insted of 4..?..It seems like it only uses 2 of them...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Faast Ed

I've got the 4 lines running to my house. I had the phone company come out and switch me from the two weak wires to the other two. (they have to switch at both ends - near the house and at a box further from the house).

But keep in mind, everything outside is their responsibility. Have THEM fix it.   Underground wire sucks when it gets some age to it.
≡Faast Ed>

tireater

The phone line comes to the house in 18ga solid 2 wire...There is a block where the wires are connected by nuts and washers...
I don't think the tiny wire makes enough contact when connected this way...I want to solder it but the 4 wire seems too small...

tireater

On a 4 wire phone line...are 2 of the wires 'extra'...?

Fxstchewy

I have 6 wire line going into the house from the outside, I use the other 4 as spares in case of a problem later on down the road. Chewy
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

Standard

Where do you live? I work for Verizon and would love to see you get your service running at optimal speed.  If you have DSL, you may be able to spit your signal at the side of the house to a dedicated jack right to your computer, this way you elimate a faulty connection that will corrupt data(internet), but is transparent to your voice(phone).

I sent you an email.
2007 FLHT "Rosie"

tireater

I ran a separate 18ga 2 pair wire just for the computer...So far so good...Thanks  :up:

tomcat-flstf

you did the best thing you could do a home run,right to your computer.i to work for verizon.need any more help feel free to email me.   tomcat

mark61

Awhile back the wire from the pole going down into the ground leading to my house was swinging in the wind and I was having problems. Verizon sent some jerk around who stopped the truck and eyeballed  says everything is good. Week later I called them screaming bout getting it fixed and this time send a suppervisor. He show up tells me looks good. Grabs the wire and it broke at the top of the pole and fell on him.       I seen too many times these company "repairmen" doing half assed jobs to trust them when they are NOT being suppervised! Yes I know this is a rant and not all going to be bad workers but my luck has been running 90% bad and 10% good with Verizon. How is YOUR luck?

mark671

Phu Cat

How is YOUR luck?  My luck's been REAL good with Ma Bell.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

skeets

Ma Bell is a CHEAP Mother,, she was when i worked fr her and not if you don't speak 17 different dialects you aint gettin no where either
Am fear nach gleidh na hairm san t sith, cha bhi iad aige'n am a' chogaidh

Flat Dog

My experience with Verizon, as with any other major telco provider, is that they will do anything they can to avoid installing any new materials into an antiquated infrastructure.

Plain engrish: They hate stringing or burying new wire unless you are a new customer getting a new line installed.

Verizon at least runs fiber to the home in metro areas, AT&T FKA Ma Bell is running fiber to the curb, copper to the home. Brilliant...