May 06, 2024, 01:30:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tranny Fluid

Started by Dresser, January 03, 2009, 08:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dresser

I put my 04 Road King on the table to change the primary gasket (it's leaking). After I got it up there a buddy noticed that I was also leaking tranny fluid. I pulled the dip stick to check the tranny fluid level. The bike is level and the tranny is over full. I "may" have overfilled it but I don't think so. I'm usually pretty anal about that kind of stuff. I put Redline 75W90 synthetic in about 3k miles ago (first time I've used it). It is now a bright pale pink color. It looks like it has moisture contamination. I have a couple of questions.

1) Is it normal for the Redline to change colors like this.?

2) If it is moisture how did it get in there? The bike has never been under water. It has been out in the rain parked and riding. My wife does laundry in the same garage it is parked in.

3) Is the tranny vented to atmosphere?

Thanks,

Dresser

PoorUB

Pretty sure you check the tranny level on the side stand, my guess you have it sitting straight up on the table.

You may have some moisture in the fliud, I would just change it. It takes very little moisture to get oil milky, it maybe simply from riding in the rain, or parked in the rain. The tranny has a vent hose near the primary side that just makes a short loop up and back down.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

DblackmanC

Dresser...

My '03 manual said check straight up and my '06 said on jiffy stand....Better check your manual??

Yes there is atmosphere vent....will leak there if over filled?

Red line will turn pink with a little water or air. A good hour or two ride will remove all the water. air will remove itself after sitting.

See no problem with these items BUT Where is the trans. leak coming from? That is your concern at this point?

'06 Dyna, 95" Bagger.

harleyjt

Pretty sure you check the tranny level on the side stand, my guess you have it sitting straight up on the table.

No.  5 speed Touring tranny fluid is checked straight up.

Yes-there is a vent line.  Iirc its a premolded rubber hose coming out of the top of the tranny with a 90 deg bend in it.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Faast Ed

QuoteBUT Where is the trans. leak coming from?

Could primary fluid be getting into the tranny?   Could his vent be clogged (building pressure to encourage a leak)?
≡Faast Ed>

EagleFTE

What Harleyjt said.  Straight up and hold long enough for the Red Line to settle.  That is thick stuff so I always hold it steady straight up for at least 60 seconds for a good reading.  And remember the dip stick does not get screwed in for the reading.  And yes it is vented via a hose as noted before.  It vents on the left side inboard of the primary as I recall.

harleyjt

And remember the dip stick does not get screwed in for the reading.

Yep - forgot to mention that.  Its not like the engine oil dipstick which gets seated.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Dresser

Thanks Guys. The bike is upright and level. I'm checking level without seating the dipstick and it's measuring high. The leak maybe the vent hose acting as an overflow. I'm going to change the fluid to see if that makes a difference in the leak.