May 06, 2024, 05:33:59 PM

News:

AMS HEADS

Started by BONERACIN, January 03, 2009, 09:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BONERACIN

Anyone using heads that have been ported by AMS out of Texas? If so what do you think about them?
Boneracin
"Uncle Sam made me cut off my mullet"

autoworker

January 03, 2009, 10:22:41 AM #1 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 11:21:03 AM by autoworker
I have a set on a 95in. RK with Andrews tw37b cams.It runs well,however the compression came in a bit higher than planned. :wtf:
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

Jeffd

http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=3609.0

Here are a couple I helped with, Scurvy's is a good running bike.  The guy with the 26's bought a Goldwing and we have not seen him since so not sure how he is liking his AMS build.

Ultra003

Quote from: BONERACIN on January 03, 2009, 09:52:34 AM
Anyone using heads that have been ported by AMS out of Texas? If so what do you think about them?

I did a 96" AMS build last spring. Makes 98/106.5 with Andrews 37's and runs well, although I think any of the porters posting here could get you that for the same or less money.
   And being in a hurry I accepted a set of heads they had on the shelf instead of having my own done. Didn't like the spark plug threads when I got them but used them anyway and ended up stripping one out just before heading to the dyno. Had to pull them off and have Time-Serts installed.
   Not knocking them but if I had it to do again I'd talk to a few the porters posting here.

Dave

Dave

BONERACIN

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking of doing a build and using them just because the are in texas in it will same me some money in shipping.
Boneracin

Jeffd

If you call Tom at AMS he is a very good guy to talk to.  He rides a bagger and stands behind his product 100 %.  I know he has been testing other head designs from when we did those builds.

Bear

Just got mine together, I havent got to ride yet but the heads looked good and it sounds good. Steve at AMS was great to deal with and answered all my dumb questions no problems!      Dave

Eglider05

January 03, 2009, 02:10:51 PM #7 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 02:12:38 PM by Eglider05
Quote from: BONERACIN on January 03, 2009, 09:52:34 AM

Tom and Steve are both great guys to work with and they stand behind their product even if fault isn't clear. I think their heads are a great bang for the buck. I did one of their 96" 37G builds on my friends 00 RK last winter and it runs very strong. I've ran him many times with my 98" 37G (street port heads) and although I can take him through the first couple of gears before I know it he's catching and passing me. I believe all the difference is in the head work, nothing fancy but it works with these builds. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone any easier to deal with.

Rick

ClassicRider2002

You asked about AMS, but here is another one you might consider as well......if you were thinking about the CRANE HTC-300-2 cam:

Just posting info for guys interested in the Crane HTC 300-2.

Three dyno's within thread.

Crane HTC-300-2 (06 & earlier bikes) (1-6000 for 07 newer bikes)
Mild Street, Cruising, Touring. Bolt in cam, low-end torque and mid-range HP. Good for heavy bikes. Range: Idle to 5000 rpms.

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=newProduct&id=20

13 - Intake Open
33 - Intake Close
42 - Exhasut Open
14 - Exhaust Close
226 - Intake Duration
236 - Exhaust Duration
27 - Overlap
100 - Intake Lobe Center
104 - Exhaaust Lobe Center
102 - Lobe Separation Angle
0.505 - Intake Lift
0.505 - Exhaust Lift

What makes the HTC-300-2  such a good bagger cam is that it has an early intake close of 33 degrees ABDC, tight lobe separation angle of 102 and 505" lift.

For more info on cam timing check out: http://forums.about.com/Live2Ride/messages?msg=22584.3

Here are a couple of comments from riders with personal experience with the Crane 300-2 cam.

Dwight of Syke Performance is now running a Crane 300-2 in his Road King. He can order the Crane 300-2 in gear drive. Syke Performance has three of gear drive versions installed in customers bikes and all are extremely satisfied with the performance in their touring bike.

http://forums.about.com/Live2Ride/messages?msg=22606.88

I recieved the cams from Crane for test purposes a fews monts back and felt obligated to put them in. I have been searching for something out of the ordinary for a new package with out going to a custom grind, or what are known as the designer cams. Andrews (IMO) dominates the HD cam market so I purposely stayed away from them. Although Andrews Products are excellent cams, I am looking to offer something a little bit different. I mentioned a while ago that we were working on a complete package hoping to address the noise issues as well as making good street power. The original target was to use the LSR Black Hole, or one of the queiter slip-on's.

Well, at the same time the cams arrived Samson sent a Caliber 2-1 exhaust. So feeling obligated to them as well I thought "might as well get er done". I installed a set of my heads, the Crane 300 cam, and the Samson Caliber 2-1, 95" flat pistons, Stage I A/C, and adjustable push rods. The rest of the engine components are stock, including the 40mm CV, and ignition. Static compression is 9.1, Corrected is 8.6, and cranking pressuer is 175, all very manageable for street use.

We still have not dynoed it with the Samson Caliber 2-1, and the carb is FAR from being tunned, nor is the road testing even started (it's 20 deg F). All I can say about my initial impression is:

!WOW! This thing is a MONSTER! GREAT BAGGER CAM!

There is lots of potential for this set up, we are VERY excited about being able to offer a package with this much acceleration at such a low CR. The carb still pops and farts a lot because it is not jetted properly, so the bike is currently limited to a top speed of 112 MPH. I imagine with the right combination of jetting and exhaust we should be able to put it up a few more. The low end with this current combo will break the tire loose, and snap your head back with a hard twist of the throttle. We have several exhaust systems yet to be evaluated which include the RB Racing Black Hole, RB Racing LSR 2-1, V&H Slip-on's, Rinehart Duals, and a Super Trapp Super Meg 2-1. We will test more as they become available.

We are considering having the cams ground in a gear version because the gear system seems to be very popular, currently we are trying to work out the number required to make them price competitive. (If anyone has considered this grind, but has balked because it's not available in gears, please send an email, we could use all the pre-orders we can get to help get the numbers up)

I have had 2 people besides my self ride this bike, they both came back with the same reply, "That's what I want". One of them was putting together a 10.5:1, 580 lift cam set up. Well..............not any more.

For anyone considering a Bagger cam, you owe it to your self to take a look at the Crane 300. The Samson Caliber seems to be a good compliment, but I am not sure yet how it will stack up against other exhaust systems, my first impression for both of these products in combination with each other is very positive. This is not my first experience with the Samson Caliber 2-1, I ran the previous version they sent with a S&S 570 10.0:1 build. The performance was very good.

Syke Performance
671 Deer Park Rd
Westminster, MD 21157
410-751-7766

http://www.sykeperformance.com/
http://forums.about.com/electraglide1/messages?msg=16678.40

mbangelo
Feb-15 1:49 pm
To: monkeydav2

I have been running the 300-2 cams in my 04 rk with stock heads street ported 40mm cv - sporty needle 48 slow 200 main supper trapp 2-1 95 se flat tops, dtt,0 030 comectics , since oct. runs real strong from 2500 to 5500 from a stop you got areal hand full pulls like a freight train no problem cruising at 80-85 have not run in hot weather yet but dont expect problem. ( have surprised a few so called hot rods light to light i l0ve it especially when they see the gray hair) BUTCH

Regards,

"Classic"

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

spook

Had AMS do a set of heads on my 03 SE Road King.  For the money all they did is scuff up the combustion chamber with a scotch bright.  Intake and exhaust were the same as when I sent them in.  I would NOT have them do a set of heads again.   Just my .02.  Spook.

Scurvy

Hard to beat their 12 month no hassle warranty, and if you can avoid shipping cost, that's even better. The exchanged set I got had a few chipped fins, and I asked for them to be cc'd to 84 and they chose to do 85cc's. If I knew then what I know now, wfolarry would have been the one I would have sent my heads to.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

autoworker

Quote from: Scurvy on January 03, 2009, 04:36:25 PM
If I knew then what I know now, wfolarry would have been the one I would have sent my heads to.

WFOLarry did my 07 heads vs AMS on my 04.My future head work will go to Larry. :up:
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

BONERACIN

Thanks for all the advice, After doing some more research it looks like i will be giving Larry a call.  What it is going to cost me in shipping will be worth the piece of mind i will get using Larry.
Boneracin

Sonny S.

Quote from: BONERACIN on January 03, 2009, 05:46:46 PM
Thanks for all the advice, After doing some more research it looks like i will be giving Larry a call.  What it is going to cost me in shipping will be worth the piece of mind i will get using Larry.

:up:    :wink:

Scurvy

'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

Killer

Groovy...
Admit nothing, Deny everything, Demand proof, and Make counter-accusations!

Eglider05

Quote from: spook120 on January 03, 2009, 03:54:12 PM
Had AMS do a set of heads on my 03 SE Road King.  For the money all they did is scuff up the combustion chamber with a scotch bright.  Intake and exhaust were the same as when I sent them in.  I would NOT have them do a set of heads again.   Just my .02.  Spook.

Did you try contacting them with your concerns? When I had a set of their heads next to my so called "street ported" heads there were very obvious differences.

Rick

vetteandharley

January 04, 2009, 05:57:32 AM #17 Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:59:56 AM by vetteandharley
Just got a build put together with Larry's stage one heads. Looked great but only have 100 miles on so far. Temp here minus 2.  Heading to AZ for a couple of weeks and will give a full report.  Larry even helped with a starter map for my efi bike.  Contacted AMS and got a good response but I wanted to try the grooves.