May 01, 2024, 06:02:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

centrifugal distributer ??

Started by LilBill, January 03, 2009, 10:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilBill

what year did the auto advance dist come out ? 67, 68 ?

panjs

LilBill

so the last pan and all the genny shovels had auto advance ? what about the dual points models ? what were they on ?

MMOCGuy

As panjs said, the first year of the centrifugal advance was the first year of the electric start - 1965. That also, is the only year panhead with electric start from the factory.

As far as dual points, I can't answer that for you. Maybe one of the other guys will chime in on it. The only dual points setups that I am aware of were the after market installations.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

panjs

As far as I know, 1960 and earlier OHV big twins had manual advance with a single set of points. Panheads from '61 to '64 had manual spark advance equipped with dual breaker points.
The dual points were supposed to provide slightly more power and engine smoothness than a single set of points. How effective they were for those purposes has been debated for years.

The '58 to '61 Panheads also had 'true dual' exhaust with separate head pipes for each cylinder. They were apparently discontinued because the sharp bend in the rear pipe didn't allow it to flow as well as the later model design with the crossover pipe.
The efficiency of 'true dual' pipes has also been debated for years.

Jim