April 27, 2024, 05:09:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gas tank fill tool

Started by HogBob, January 03, 2009, 11:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBob

Attached is a photo of the tool that I've used for several years for holding back the fumes retreival bellows on gas pump nozzles. It fits in your pocket or windshield pouch and is made of plastic approximately 3/8" thick. It can also be cut from a piece of hardwood. Either is OK since they won't cause a spark at the gas cap and they make it much easier to fill your tank without trying to hold up the bellows to completely fill the tank.

Bob

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

EagleFTE

Looks much easier to carry than the donut thing HD is selling.  Those fume collectors are a pain.  Especially when there is fuel collected in them from the last user and you go to insert the hose and it goes all over the tank.  I have also used soem that have malfunctiooned and spray gas out of the nozzle and vapor collector.  Been having to deal with those for years where I live.  Deffinitely not designed with bikes in mind (I'd like to ring that guys neck).  I've gotten used to pointing the nozzle down before bringing it over the tank but sometimes forget.

someday69

I have a real problem with my fxd,,,I have to watch it while I squeez the handle,,sometimes ,, at some stations, the fuel comes out too fast,,and will spray out of the tank...../so I wish I could use one of these,,,but I have to be very carefull
  I have gotten use to hold'in the accordin rubber thing,,and with an fxd its different I guess.....

Ape_do

I don't get it? Why do you need this? When I take the nozzle off the pump, I shake the nozzle towards the ground and then put just the tip in the tank, and slowly squeeze it to get started.

What am I missing here?

truck

January 03, 2009, 02:48:52 PM #4 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 02:51:39 PM by trück
Quote from: Ape_do on January 03, 2009, 02:34:04 PM
I don't get it? Why do you need this? When I take the nozzle off the pump, I shake the nozzle towards the ground and then put just the tip in the tank, and slowly squeeze it to get started.

What am I missing here?

Some pumps won't put out gas unless the accordion is collapsed.
And, you can't see how full you are getting with that thing in the way.
I only dealt with a few of them but if I remember correctly they require a lot of muscle to hold them back.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

EagleFTE

It is a vapor collector used in many metro areas for pollution control.  It has a spring loaded corregated rubber tube around the perimeter of the nozzle.  As said you can't pump fuel unless it is retracted.  Not a problem for a car but for anything else a pain in the butt.  I saw a guy who was riding cross country on a BMW who stopped for gas here and could not figure out for the life of him how to put gas in the tank.  Not sure how many places have them but in St. Louis metro area they are manditory.

Sonny S.

I just pull it back with my hand.
Not trying to be a wise azz but why a tool ?

littlefrank

Sonny is right. They are a pain. I'm sure the idiot that invented this is here in California. Frisco area no doubt!

tireater

The pumps were easier to use before they upped the delivery pressure...
Now I have to tap the handle to top the tank off...or shoot gas all over...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

someday69

And its so ob ve us that this thing don't work,,,I mean it spills more liquid fuel than it ever can save in fapors..fumes.......What a pos......this is why goverment mandated eco stuff needs to be re concidered....it dont work now never has never will....Some more of our wastefull/stuipd-eco laws.......
      maybe with a new adin. we can get things like tihis looked into....someday..

Sonny S.

Quote from: Sonny S. on January 03, 2009, 07:46:42 PM
I just pull it back with my hand.
Not trying to be a wise azz but why a tool ?
Quote from: littlefrank on January 04, 2009, 07:40:07 AM
Sonny is right. They are a pain. I'm sure the idiot that invented this is here in California. Frisco area no doubt!

Sonny is right. They are a pain.   ?  :dgust:

HogBob

To answer the question "why a tool". Its a lot easier to see past the tool into your tank than it is to see past your hand as you try to keep the bellows compressed so the gas keeps flowing. You just pull the bellows back, insert the tool over the steel nozzle to hold the bellows back and pump gas without the hassle of worrying about accidently spilling gas all over your tank or youself. Even the gas station attendants have asked me where to get one since they are handy for filling gas cans as well as bike tanks. But hey--- if you don't like the idea or don't have the pain-in-the-a$$ bellows on the pumps in your area, thats great too.

Bob :wink:

alstar2

I don't have any trouble holding it up with my hand but I get lots of
practice around here.littlefrank i think your wrong,probably came from
Bezerkley.  Al

seattledyna

my wife says she prefers the circumcised fuel nozzles for filling her bike.

mori55

Quote from: HogBob on January 04, 2009, 01:02:25 PM
To answer the question "why a tool". Its a lot easier to see past the tool into your tank than it is to see past your hand as you try to keep the bellows compressed so the gas keeps flowing. You just pull the bellows back, insert the tool over the steel nozzle to hold the bellows back and pump gas without the hassle of worrying about accidently spilling gas all over your tank or youself. Even the gas station attendants have asked me where to get one since they are handy for filling gas cans as well as bike tanks. But hey--- if you don't like the idea or don't have the pain-in-the-a$$ bellows on the pumps in your area, thats great too.

Bob :wink:
Were did you get yours ?

02roadcling

what seattle dyna said, lmao
my wife says she prefers the circumcised fuel nozzles for filling her
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

Panzer

January 06, 2009, 06:59:52 AM #16 Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 07:01:36 AM by Panzer
 It seems that the only time that gas spills over while holding the bellows is right after I cleaned and waxed it.  :angry:
Gas all over the tank and hands.
When I walk into the house,the wife says.......got gas didn't you?  :crook:
She should have been a detective.
Gotta go wash the hands.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.