May 06, 2024, 08:13:44 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

cam chain pad pics

Started by HDSlowride, January 03, 2009, 11:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDSlowride

I know some folks collect pictures (or just like to look at them) of cam chain pads in various condition. I just got into my brother's '03 Ultra Classic for a little mid-winter teardown and freshen up. Anyway, I was pretty surprised at how good a shape his chain pads were in. I've been telling him for the last year that I needed to change them out so for a Christmas present I got him some cams, new pads, etc. This is basically a stock '03 88 inch Stage I bike that has always had H-D 360 or Mobil I 15W-50 and changed at 5-6 thousand miles. Pretty good shape for an engine with 57,000 miles. Never been cracked open until now. Could have left it for another 20,000 probably.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
'07 Ultra Classic

Sonny S.

Nice !!

The next set will be real happy with that polished chain  :up:

03deuce

You're not going to make the gear drive crowd very happy.   :angry:

Jeffd

I dunno I would say you got them out none too soon.  I would not have wanted to go another 20,000 if they were in mine, but still changing them every 60,000 is pretty easy and cost effective compared to gears and the new style set up.  In fact if Harley would have said they were a 40,000 mile replaceable wear item from the get go no one would have batted an eye.

KumaRide

Quote from: 03deuce on January 03, 2009, 11:51:50 AM
You're not going to make the gear drive crowd very happy.   :angry:

+1.  Installing a cam and leaving the bike chain drive.  :wink:

RK101

Nice pics thanks. Don't know if I'd go 20K but 10K seems feasible.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

HDSlowride

This is why I never recommend gears to anyone unless they need the reverse rotation for extra clearance in big lift cams. Chain pads are easy to change and how many times are you realistically gonna do it? once...maybe twice?
'07 Ultra Classic

egstandard

Your brother did good. They look very similar to mine, but mine were at 33,000 miles

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Scurvy

Mine at 38k or so... nice polished chains now here too.

inner tensioner

'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

Dresser

My Road King will cross 25-30K miles this year. My oldest stepson is a Harley mechanic in Carbondale, Ill. Sometime this summer I'm taking a vacation to Southern Illinois to get the cam chain pads changed. My stepson doesn't know it yet. I figure changing pads every 25-30K miles is good insurance and keeps a solid running engine right where it is. If I went to chain drive I would also change cams, ignition, and pipes.

I used to do that kind of stuff with my Shovel. I'm into low maintenance these days. Getting the tuning right on a modified engine can be a pain in the ass. I'd rather be riding.

Coff 06

No pictures,but I just changed mine @ 24k on my 06 and they still looked brand new,almost no wear.   Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

HarleyCharley

Checked mine at 23k. Never would have made 25k without being in to metal, so I went 26g's.