May 01, 2024, 04:13:18 PM

News:

Gotta question about tachometer

Started by Bumpy1959, January 03, 2009, 12:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bumpy1959

Greetings and Happy New Year To all.
I have a question about wiring a small tachometer into my Pan/Shovel. Some years ago I had the identical tach on another bike but don't remember exactly how to wire it now. (I Purchased it at an estate sale, with no wiring diagram). I believe the green wire goes to the tack, the red wire to battery, and the black to ground. I know the blue wire at the back of the tack is to light the face of the tach.

Am I close? It's a small generic type tach found in most catalogs, (2 1/2 inch's across).
Thanks,
Bumpy

pappyfreebird

im no good fer colors since many r different,,but need one to coil (to read it),,,one to power  n  sometimes seperate fer lil light (as yers)... n a ground... i try n figure light n power (usually same wire) n ground then last is coil..like a stocker  on fx is was pink coil orange hot n light n black ground

Bumpy1959

Pappy, thanks for your insight. I think I got the bugger figured out but better safe then sorry so I like to "ask the experts". Wiring has always been my weak spot. (just another reason to love the older scooters, nice simple wiring!)
Bumpy

pappyfreebird

groovy n with a lil luck maybe one a the experts will jump in here

easyricer

Sounds right to me. Fire it up and see. If it works, you were right.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

MMOCGuy

Bumpy, Sounds right to me too.

Be sure you connect the signal pickup wire to the points side of the coil. if you connect it to the other side, you won't get the signal you should and the tach won't work properly.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

Lew

January 06, 2009, 01:25:58 PM #6 Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 01:34:51 PM by lewy1313
Yes, that is the correct hookup. Besides hooking the green wire to the coil negative make sure to hook the red wire to the Ign. side of the circuit so the tach is only hot when the bike is running.  I've seen perfectly good batteries get replaced because 'they won't hold a charge'...all because this wasn't heeded.  Doesn't seem to hurt the tachs any but will continually drain the battery down when the bike is sitting for a few days.
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Bumpy1959

Great advice fellas, thank you very much, just what I was looking for! Wasn't sure about which side of the coil to wire to and the tip about wiring to the ignition is worth it's weight in aaaaaaaaaa, well batterys! Thanks Again!
Bumpy