April 27, 2024, 05:07:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

brake fluid

Started by jazzman713, January 03, 2009, 01:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazzman713

is brake fluid brake fluid i know there is dot 3-4-5 but in the name

longrider1951

I know by experience that DOT 5 is silicone based and does not mix with the others.  As far as 3 mixing with 4 etc., I have no idea.
There's nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot! (don't ask how I know)

bouncingVman

No. They are different.

What year bike are we talking about.
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

harleyjt

Each one has a different boiling point.  DOT 5 is silicone based and not compatible with 3 and 4.  3 and 4  are compatible, but why would you want to mix?  Later bikes have moved over to DOT 4 from DOT 5.  Just depends on year and model.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

jazzman713

i guess what im asking is in the names i take it dot 5 is dot5 under any name 3&4 are 3&4 under any name

harleyjt

Correct - DOT stands for Dept of Transportation, and the 3, 4, and 5 are their spec designations. Brand name doesn't matter - they are meeting the DOT 3, 4, or 5 spec.  One other note, DOT 5.1 is not compatible with DOT 5 fluid.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Rags722

January 03, 2009, 03:21:30 PM #6 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 03:26:53 PM by Rags722
Quote from: jazzman713 on January 03, 2009, 02:21:59 PM
i guess what im asking is in the names i take it dot 5 is dot5 under any name 3&4 are 3&4 under any name

OK, very important stuff to keep in mind......
The one big word you need to know is hygroscopic meaning “readily absorbs water”. All DOT 3/4/5.1 fluids are glycol-based and absorb water over time. DOT 5 is silicone-based and does not absorb water, but is more expensive and more compressible. ( copied from http://motorcyclebloggers.com/tech-talk-articles/brakes-101/brake-fluid-101/ )
Dot 3 & 4 are compatable and can be interchanged without a problem.  Dot 5 is silicone based and can NOT be mixed with Dot 3, 4, or 5.1.  If you screw up and mix them, expect to have to do a complete rebuild of your entire braking system or risk a braking system failure.  Dot 3, 4, & 5.1 will attack paint without mercy.  Dot 5 is reported to be less damaging to paint if you get it off rather soon.
Also, buy what you need, not what you may need in the next couple of years.  Dot 3, 4, & 5.1 do absorb moisture. Don't use brake fluid from a open can you find on the shelf of your workbench.  If you don't remember putting the lid on YESTERDAY, it's probably contaminated and should have been thrown out.
Rags

jazzman713

i have an 06 road king and an 01 sportster

FSG

Quote...... DOT 5.1 is not compatible with DOT 5 fluid.

This is worth repeating , DOT 5.1 is not compatible with DOT 5 fluid

hogpipes1

What bike or auto uses 5.1??