what year stop using silver paint on cylinders?

Started by bigpete1, January 03, 2009, 04:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpete1

what year did hd stop painting cylinders silver on shovels?thanks pete

Fat Mike

BigPete - I'm not sure but I do know my '69 had silver cylinders. 

Speeding Big Twin

I'm not sure either but the following may help. 100 Years of Harley-Davidson by Willie G has a colour photo of a 1969 prototype Super Glide with silver cylinders. I don't have the book here but I have the photo on my PC. I think there was a colour photo of a 1971 FX in the book also but I'm not sure about the cylinder colour.

In Classic Harley Big Twins by Field and Murphy, there is a colour photo of a 1971 FX with silver cylinders on page 341 but the 1971 FX on page 345 has black cylinders. On page 342 there is a colour photo of a 1972 FX with black cylinders. However, these three photos aren't credited to H-D. But the black and white photo on page 261 is apparently a factory photo and it shows a 1973 Super Glide with black cylinders.

Page 312 of Classic Harley BTs has a black and white factory photo of a 1973 FLH with black cylinders. And my 1974 FLH had black cylinders when I bought it in stock condition in April 1976.     Eric

flhswingarm

Big Pete.......... I got my 71 flh 12 years ago as a basket........the jugs (originals) were black