May 09, 2024, 06:52:00 AM

News:

installing EVO oil pump

Started by 14Frisco, May 11, 2011, 02:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14Frisco

Are there any tricks to install an oil pump on an EVO and actually use a torque wrench?

There was barely room to get it off and I can't see how it is possible to fit a torque wrench in there, but maybe someone knows a trick or two.  The manual of course warns not to overtighten the screws to prevent binding.  I have had it off once before and if I remember correctly I didn't use a torque wrench then but instead did it by feel and took off the pinion gear and rotated the pump with the oil pump drive gear to make sure it wasn't binding.  Wouldn't mind using a slightly more scientific method though.

tmwmoose

If you don't have a inch pound torque wrench and bits for the fasteners JUST USE YOUR FINGERS AND HAND strenghth on the tools TO SNUG/TIGHTEN the bolts 90 inch pounds and much at all you'll be fine

14Frisco

I have an inch pound torque wrench and 3/16 bit - that's not the problem.  The fit/positioning of them is, I think.  Have you been able to use a torque wrench when installing the pump with engine and transmission in frame?

tmwmoose

Sorry for not watching the post , well yes you can softails are easy the rubber mounts a little tight and I have allen sockets trimed down as well as standard hex heads all 1/4" drive