April 27, 2024, 10:16:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mikuni choke cable

Started by -JC-1, May 13, 2011, 08:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-JC-1

Can Mikuni choke cables be disassembled?
I'm looking at one and it doesn't seem so  :scratch:
I've got a relocation bracket that won't work unless I cut the knob off or?
04 FLHT-S&S 124-Baisley-640ez-xxx super g-IST-02-FXST 103 NRA Patron SAF Life

Older-twin

The cable is not made to be disassembled like that.  However, that too depends on how mechanically inclined you are.  I shortened up a choke cable the other day by 5" so now it just dangles beside the carb body.  Tools needed:  Drill, small drills, vice, hammer, and a bench grinder or a Dremel tool with cutoff wheel.  See where the cable is crimped in the push/pull rod?  You have to cut that crimp off, then re-drill the rod the same diameter as the cable to accept the thin cable, and then crimp the cable back into the rod with the vice and hammer in the same way it was crimped to begin with.  You will also need to shorten the flexible cable at the end by the same amount of length that you cut off the crimp and cable length.  Make sure that you take a good measurement of what you are cutting off and what you are "loosing" in cable length when you re-crimp it in the rod, and it will work out great for you.  The flex cable needs that chrome cap pulled off and that end ground or cut off to the measured length.  Then push the cap back on.  I had to drill the inside of my cap slightly to clean up the inside so it would slide on easier, then crimp it down a little like it was.  The job is pretty easy really.  Mine works great and it only took about an hour. 

Another thing you may be able to do is break off the plastic knob off that brass stud, then cut threads on the exposed brass (with a tap and die set).  That will allow you to thread on a custom made knob. 

-JC-1

Thanks, I think in my case I"ll break the knob and rethread as you describe-
Always helpful to benefit from others experience !
:up:

Joe
04 FLHT-S&S 124-Baisley-640ez-xxx super g-IST-02-FXST 103 NRA Patron SAF Life