April 27, 2024, 06:18:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

hard tail for buells 04-and later?

Started by hogboy, January 03, 2009, 06:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogboy

Does anybody make rigid frames for 04 and later Buells

help-u2

yes,  and chopper stuff, fat tire kits all that.
guy has a shop out by rosevelt lake in arizona...
i have his name somewhere here.  he has a web site also.
will post

help-u2

help-u2

also redneck choppers. 
but i personally know the az guy. (nastybikes) very good welder.
made his own jigs to make frames...

frito1

I used Nasty Bikes for my project.  I paid premium prices for a not so good a product.  Things that I specifically requested and was told would be no problem didn't happen.  Worst of all he screwed up the engine offset and that forced me to use offset a 29t pulley rather than the 27t Buell.  Now that would have been OK if I was building a touring bike, but I lost quite a bit of performance because of his sloppy work.  As far as his welding skills, he ground down all the important welds.  No way short of an x-ray to tell if they were any good.  My friend (an x-ray certified mig/tig welder) that did the finish welds on stuff I fabbed up didn't like the fact that some of the grinding went below the surface of the base metal, plus all the grinding prevented visual inspections of the welds.  Buyer beware.

s-r-t

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com

mark61

So did you have your welder friend weld over the ground off welds to make sure it won't break later?

mark61

help-u2

wow.  there is a personal experince i did not have.
will say i did see him welding.  prior to grinding....(did not know he ground welds)

the work looked good.
  talked to him quite a bit on making me a drag race frame..
and any race frame would not have welds ground...

so scooter trash....why did you buy it once seeing it was not to your specs?

4DWUDS

Did you crash your Buell and just want to build something different ?
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

frito1

January 06, 2009, 05:50:30 PM #9 Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:53:14 PM by scoot-r-trash
Quote from: mark61 on January 04, 2009, 08:58:55 AM
  So did you have your welder friend weld over the ground off welds to make sure it won't break later?

mark61

No, and I'll be honest, I don't remember the why.  I think it was the thought that if the underlying (ground down) welds were of good quality, to just leave well enough alone and address any issues later if they came up.  I hope I made the right decision.  (2 years and 6K miles so far without issue)  Also I fabbed a mount that used the original M2 front engine mount and tied it into the neck area for added support.

Quote from: help-u2 on January 04, 2009, 12:42:18 PM

so scooter trash....why did you buy it once seeing it was not to your specs?

I guess I'll just have to plead stupidity.  I talked to the folks at the shop at length and was as comfortable as I could be spending money (in advance) long distance.  A few things led to me keeping the frame.  First thing was I used the neck from my M2 to keep the VIN from changing on the bike, so I was committed to building a rigid.  The main reason I didn't refuse the frame is that I didn't find the offset issue until I was well into the mock up of the bike.  That was a month or two after delivery.  At that point they were holding all the cards.  I will say that they did supply the offset pulley that was needed to make the frame work as configured, at no cost to me.  They balked at doing much else.  The rest of the issues were more of a nuisance than anything else.  Items that were supposed to be in a box arrived welded in place (oil tank mount, battery mount, rear fender mount, rear brake lug).  These had to be cut off and relocated or used as they were.  All this was discussed at the time of my order for the frame and I was assured it was no problem, but it still showed up with all the stuff attached.

Quote from: 4DWUDS on January 04, 2009, 06:19:52 PM
Did you crash your Buell and just want to build something different ?

No crash involved.  I just turned a perfectly good bike into something totally different.  I wanted a rigid, I had the Buell, and the rest is history.  I've taken two 1st's in the 3 shows it's been in.

Hey, I wanted a rigid and wanted to build it myself.  It made me think that the tantrums thrown on the set of OCC might not be as scripted as I once thought.  :wink:
It was a learning experience.

s-r-t
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com