April 27, 2024, 06:21:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

used trans/locking in 2nd and fourth

Started by 55 PAN, May 14, 2011, 09:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 PAN

May 14, 2011, 09:07:39 AM Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:25:22 PM by 55 PAN
greetings...New member here

I Have a 77 iron, I just recieved a trans ( from ebay) used...this is out of the bike.
everything looks great on the teeth, shafts etc,,but when bench test shifting, it will go into neutral and first very good, second locks up, third engages and runs free, 4th locks up.

IS this normal since it isnt installed? or does this one have a problem ( this isnt a 77 left side shift trans, the trap door doesnt have the notched out area to allow the shifter shaft through )  thanx guys..Im sure I will be back for more info and advice )

When I got the bike, it wouldnt shift to second, so I knew either bent shifter arm/shifter fork etc type situation.... so I bought that trans hoping it would be a good one (was told it was) ya takes yer chances..well after messing with the bike while I waited for the trans to arrive and gettingt it started. seems maybe the clutches were locked cause now it will shift through all 4, so new clutch kit is on the way.

Let me clarify...they will rotate approx 45 degrees...Im *assuming* that during normal rotation in the bike, while its running, that the gears will * kick/move* the rest into place so the shift has completed its cycle.

I dont have the manual yet ..frankly I blew my dough on getting the bike and some new parts that were obviously in need of replacing, This was at one time a nice built bike, custom paint all the pretties*)

Im an old biker from long ago, im 55 now and on disability for my back, so cash is tight. sold my last bike 21 years ago  * 81 Sturgis laid out in an old D+D ridged frame* for the whole settle down family, move blah blah gonna build a new one as soon as we get settled in crap    :hyst:..  when I was 16  had a 64 XLCH, then a 55 Pan, then 58 Pan, then 76 FLH, then the Sturgis...getting divorced now, kids are grown and Im heading back to the good ol days of beer, women, and bikes... :smiled:

55 PAN

May 14, 2011, 09:22:34 AM #1 Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:52:55 AM by 55 PAN
oh  trap door has a *34846-54 A* number   *Andrews Gears* 

garyajaz

am confused...lol...but that happens a lot.
your newly bought one is locking up? as in it dosent spin?
but other gears turn??
is it trying to shift into two gears at once?

with shift fork shafts all the way seated and all good
you should be able to shift it into all 4 while turning shafts.

55 PAN

I guess I wasnt clear   ... let me try this. The new one.
with it on the bench, and *turning the plate* to engage a gear, it will go into 1st gear and all the gears rotate and spin as they should using the main shaft sprocket to turn.
neutral...everything frees up and releases, free spins the sprocket.
clicking into 2nd it it engages, but will only spin about 45 degrees ( forward and backwards ) and then it locks up for any more travel
third, it engages and spins to the sprocket as it should.
4th same as 2nd.

there is no wear, nothing that would indicate a problem, everything looks and moves freely otherwise,nothing is stuck on a shaft, everything looks almost new.  :scratch:

thanx for trying garyjaz

garyajaz

can you see the shift dogs engaging in the locked up gear?
there are offset shift forks and a clearance for each gear.
without having it in my hand kinda hard to diagnose.
a manual breaks it down well. 
if have a specific spec question i have a 1974 manual.

55 PAN

gary...

yea, looks like everything is engaging properly, but it seems something may be out of alignment with the shift...hard to explain..its like one of the shift dogs isnt releasing or rather not disengaging...or not moving into the next gear advance... :nix:

Im just going to take it to someone that is more experianced next month when I move to Virginia . leaving june 3rd with the bike in the back of my truck .

At this point, I was mostly concerned with amassing some known needed parts that were a definate need, but saw that tranny in ebay for 200.00 bucks with supposedly new andrews gears and shafts in it..I figured WTH for 200.00 bucks. and it does look to be very lightly used gears, I cant descern any noticable wear/chipping/heat etc concerns with it. hell, they dont look like they've even been run yet///so it is Id say more than likely an alignment issue, or somthing obviously simple that im just not seeing.

The plan all along was to redo this in a * Mock up* of a 55 Pan look...everyone is doing the bobber/chopper thing..so I have to be different...gonna use a redone FLH style rear fender/ use some Struts to drop the rear tight to the wheel/havent decided the front fender yet... but not going to rake the front, just some lowering springs kit to get the ride near level.....

I was going to ride it for a bit first and then do a complete rebuild of the engine/tranny etc...after all..it has been 21 years since my last bike and damn !!!  Im ready to ride again   :smiled:

saltcaveminer

you will need the clearance specs to check between the gears.also check the tophats for wear. also you might try polishing the cam slots.hope this helps.Salty

nibroc

don't worry 'bout the cosmetics--do the tranny-take it to someone that knows how to ALIGN the gears-new andrews tranny shafts and gears cost big money-clearances are critical-verify it's ALL andrews stuff-JMMHO

wreck74

Clymer manual has a pretty good section on the ironhead transmission.

Hillside Motorcycle

Those gear sets are a piece of cake to bench-build.
Once that is established, only other critical area is the correct end-play, which is attended to upon installation.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"