May 02, 2024, 05:57:50 AM

News:

Gas Tank Sealers

Started by Snuff™, January 03, 2009, 08:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snuff™

Has anyone had good experience with gas tank sealers?  Not that I have any leaks.  The pan is getting a face lift and I don't want any leaks in the future.

-Snuff
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

HDdude5

I just did a pair of 3 1/2 gal. fatbobs yesterday. I know there is some absolute "junk" on the market, the kind that does everything (so they claim).
Seems the old standby is a product called "Red Kote". It's what auto restoration shops use, tank fabricators, and lots of custome bike shops.
I used it yesterday, pretty simple to use, time consuming, but simple. After all I've been told about the stuff it is the real deal....
Bill

Erichill

I have used both red Kote and Kream. The Red Kote isw much easier to use. the Kream was an all day affair for pair tanks, and was harder to get an even coverage.
Eric

Snuff™

I have heard, 2nd or 3rd hand, that true authentic restorers don’t like Kreem.

Thanks,
Snuff

MBSKEAM

por15 or redcoat...
kreem sucks ass, maybe the stuf that is 15 years plus had the good stuff in it but now it just dont seem to hold up today...
kinda like rattle can paint or bug killer(mathathion)etc...find a old bottle and read the % of active chemical, and compare to now....WOW

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

ohio-rider

With the puke that is sold as gasoline theses days, I wouldn't use any type of sealers. Anything that holds up to todays fuels will likely not hold up for you next summer when they change the blends again.

Ultrashovel

Quote from: MBSKEAM on January 04, 2009, 11:27:50 AM
por15 or redcoat...
kreem sucks ass, maybe the stuf that is 15 years plus had the good stuff in it but now it just dont seem to hold up today...
kinda like rattle can paint or bug killer(mathathion)etc...find a old bottle and read the % of active chemical, and compare to now....WOW

mbskeam

Kreem is bad. Use anything but Kreem unless you like to walk and push when it flakes off and clogs your fuel filter. the reason it doesn't work as advertised is that they tell you that you have to remove ALL OF THE RUST inside of your tanks. With the weak phosphoric acid mix they give you, that's impossible. So, if there is rust left, there is no adhesiion and after a while, it flakes off.

If you can get some 70% Phosphoric acid and clean the tanks with a pint of acid and a pound of nuts and bolts per side, agitated, then Kreem might, I said, might work. Myself, I just use the acid and I never get anymore rust. Also  it helps to keep the tanks full when parked like an airplane.

You can get strong phosphoric acid from chemical supply warehouse. Use facemask and gloves please.

Snuff™

After reading all your posts, I think I'll give her her face lift and just hang an IV bottle full of fuel when I go for a putt.

-Snuff

ricochet

I've had good luck with tank sealer from British Auto chain of parts stores.  I think they have a new name now.  But there product works well and you get a heck of a lot more for your money.  Comes in a quart and the acid you need is just Muriatic acid sold at any hardware store.  After etching nuetralize it all with baking soda and water wash then lots of clean water.  I like to follow this with an acetone rinse to get it real dry and clean.  Do a double coat or more if you like.  First coat is like primer, something for the second coat to stick to.  Second coat melts into the first causing it to set up faster and therefore thicker.  DO NO let ANY puddle in tank.

ricochet

fourthgear

As was rightly said above , if you are going to use Kreem , the tanks have to be CLEAN & DRY . I let the cleaner (acid ) sit for a week or two, or more and agitate often, the use the drying liquid and of course apply the Kreem . I did my Pan tanks about four years ago and the Kreem looks like the day I applied it . My other Pan has what looks like Kreem in the tanks also , but not sure and they look good too , nothing in the screens .
It may all be in the way its prepped as to the out come.

Snuff™

January 07, 2009, 03:10:21 PM #11 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 03:12:54 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
While surfing, found hirschauto.com.  Has anyone heard of/or tried Bill Hirsch tank sealer?

-Snuff

ohio-rider

Fourthgear.... Where are you purchasing your fuel? The fuels around here will chew through Kreem in just a matter of weeks.

fourthgear

Florida, up to 10 % ethenol here in all gas ( mostly Shell ,high test ). I used to live in Ohio , and didn't have any problems with it there . We used it when ever needed for weaping leaks or just sealing a new tank(s). I am not saying its the best stuff to use , I just have not had any problems with it , at all .Maybe lucky or maybe not .