May 06, 2024, 10:28:16 AM

News:

How bout a WOODS 6-6 in a 09 103/bagger?

Started by TOMCENTRAL, January 03, 2009, 10:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMCENTRAL

January 03, 2009, 10:28:10 PM Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:20:52 AM by TOMCENTRAL
I was leaning towards either a Andrews 37H or a 54H till some one recommended a Woods 6-6.  I'm told the Woods comes on quicker & that would be a plus for the taller gearing in the newer bikes.  My questions to members here are:
1) Will this cam be a quiet runner with stock springs & adjustable pushrods?
2) How much more valve train wear compared to the Andrews?
3) Is this cam a good pick for 2 up long distance touring?
4) Can a build be done with the Woods that will not only be gas friendly, but run well in the Arizona heat?

Regards,Tom

Tre_11 FLHX

TOMCENTRAL:

Just finished a 09UC TW6-6, 103 build-I am by far an expert-Just my observations.
Quote1) Will this cam be a quiet runner with stock springs & adjustable pushrods?
Mine is louder than stock-going back intot he front jug to relieve clearance on rocker box- audible noise on front jug-isolated it with a wooden dowel to the ear method.

Quote2) How much more valve train wear compared to the Andrews
Valve train wear should be minimal due to specs of the cam

Quote3) Is this cam a good pick for 2 up long distance touring?
Believe this is a good cam for the above

QuoteCan a build be done with the Woods that will not only be gas friendly, but run well in the Arizona heat
Not sure of the above-time will tell for me as I am wanting the same-Oklahoma heat.

You did not mention head work- I had my heads done by Big Boyz-had them set up for 10.3:1 with SE flattops also had them drilled for Compression releases and I grooved the heads with the help of the board members here.

Another thing you did not mention was tuning device-IMO you can't beat a TTS-what year bike?

My scoot seems to get on the cam fairly early in the RPM range- haven't pounded the "Potty mouth" out of it testily in the process of Tuning it.

Hope the above , I am by far an expert, hopefully Hillside, Hero, Don (to name a few) and others that do this for a living will chime in.

Best of luck.
Regards,
Mike

11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

maineultraclassic

The Woods 6 cam is a great cam, it's very strong from 2500 to 5500 when set right. They like 10:1 - 10.2:1 compression to get the most power out of them.

I use it in my 95", and I've installed them in a couple of other builds that are 95" and 103".............both of them were very happy with the results.

I also have Big Boyz heads on my bike, 1.9" intake valves, 10:1 CR, compression releases, with a Cometic .030 head gasket. I had to enlarge the valve reliefs on the pistons for the intake valves just slightly to avoid any contact. My torque curve is basically flat from 2500 - 5500 rpm............power on tap when needed.

For a "bolt-in" cam, the Woods 6 is very powerful and highly recommended.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

TOMCENTRAL

Quote from: mzodarg on January 04, 2009, 03:03:36 AM
TOMCENTRAL:

Just finished a 09UC TW6-6, 103 build-I am by far an expert-Just my observations.
Quote1) Will this cam be a quiet runner with stock springs & adjustable pushrods?
Mine is louder than stock-going back intot he front jug to relieve clearance on rocker box- audible noise on front jug-isolated it with a wooden dowel to the ear method.

Quote2) How much more valve train wear compared to the Andrews
Valve train wear should be minimal due to specs of the cam

Quote3) Is this cam a good pick for 2 up long distance touring?
Believe this is a good cam for the above

QuoteCan a build be done with the Woods that will not only be gas friendly, but run well in the Arizona heat
Not sure of the above-time will tell for me as I am wanting the same-Oklahoma heat.

You did not mention head work- I had my heads done by Big Boyz-had them set up for 10.3:1 with SE flattops also had them drilled for Compression releases and I grooved the heads with the help of the board members here.

Another thing you did not mention was tuning device-IMO you can't beat a TTS-what year bike?

My scoot seems to get on the cam fairly early in the RPM range- haven't pounded the "Potty mouth" out of it testily in the process of Tuning it.

Hope the above , I am by far an expert, hopefully Hillside, Hero, Don (to name a few) and others that do this for a living will chime in.

Best of luck.
Regards,
Mike

Mike,I will be using the TTS Tuner & thanks,Tom

TOMCENTRAL

Quote from: maineultraclassic on January 04, 2009, 06:08:37 AM
The Woods 6 cam is a great cam, it's very strong from 2500 to 5500 when set right. They like 10:1 - 10.2:1 compression to get the most power out of them.

I use it in my 95", and I've installed them in a couple of other builds that are 95" and 103".............both of them were very happy with the results.

I also have Big Boyz heads on my bike, 1.9" intake valves, 10:1 CR, compression releases, with a Cometic .030 head gasket. I had to enlarge the valve reliefs on the pistons for the intake valves just slightly to avoid any contact. My torque curve is basically flat from 2500 - 5500 rpm............power on tap when needed.

For a "bolt-in" cam, the Woods 6 is very powerful and highly recommended.

Steve
Thanks Steve,Regards,Tom

Don D

Sure it will work fine, but the 5 will work better. Torque will start earlier and hit harder down low. Due to the constraints at the top the motor won't be any differant on HP on the top. If you do headwork later the 5 still will be a shoe in, as would be the 6 just little lower torque where we ride all the time. The 5 isn't noisy.

Consider grooving the heads. It is easy to do yourself, head porter not required. Just added insurance against poor gas and hot temps which is what Phoenix is all about. Our TW5 test mule is at 10.2 without issues here in Seattle, grooved.

Find a good tuner prefable tune it in the valley there
Is Custom Performance still around Nick? and does he do the TTS tunes?

TOMCENTRAL

Quote from: Deweysheads on January 04, 2009, 08:12:29 AM
Sure it will work fine, but the 5 will work better. Torque will start earlier and hit harder down low. Due to the constraints at the top the motor won't be any differant on HP on the top. If you do headwork later the 5 still will be a shoe in, as would be the 6 just little lower torque where we ride all the time. The 5 isn't noisy.

Consider grooving the heads. It is easy to do yourself, head porter not required. Just added insurance against poor gas and hot temps which is what Phoenix is all about. Our TW5 test mule is at 10.2 without issues here in Seattle, grooved.

Find a good tuner prefable tune it in the valley there
Is Custom Performance still around Nick? and does he do the TTS tunes?

I'm going to use a TTS & Steve will be tuning it.I'm still thinking the Andrews 37H might be a cam I can live with.Thanks to all that have put up with my questions.I've had 1 build that drove me nutz(07 FLHX,pinger/noisy cams/etc.) and I don't want to go down that trail again.Again,Thanks.Regards,Tom

Don D

My reason suggesting getting it tuned in the valley was not to dis Steve but because it is the real world. 5k altitude is not anywhere you will get the timing curve fixed and the 09 needs help there in the midrange and at the top peak power will come by observing the data log and looking for retard activity by the ion sensing, plus power runs under your conditions with your gas. At 5k altitude you derate compression about 20% IIRC, correct me if I am wrong.
Ask the tuners,
I am an an admited tooner.

TOMCENTRAL

Quote from: Deweysheads on January 04, 2009, 09:12:31 AM
My reason suggesting getting it tuned in the valley was not to dis Steve but because it is the real world. 5k altitude is not anywhere you will get the timing curve fixed and the 09 needs help there in the midrange and at the top peak power will come by observing the data log and looking for retard activity by the ion sensing, plus power runs under your conditions with your gas. At 5k altitude you derate compression about 20% IIRC, correct me if I am wrong.
Ask the tuners,
I am an an admited tooner.
I had my 07 tuned at Nick's.The tuner at the time said it is better to turn off the 02 sensors & would not tune it to my request.I took his advise & let him tune it(Race Tuner).I rode the bike & had some slight pinging issues.I took it back & he pulled some timing out.Still got some ping after sitting at a stop lite on excell. I think if he would have tuned the bike with the 02 sensors & were operating properly I would not have had the issues.Regards,Tom 

Don D

More the reason to tune it there
Just maybe not Nick.