April 28, 2024, 11:18:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

belt to chain

Started by hbkeith, January 04, 2009, 03:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

considering switching to chain rear drive,need new belt and tire anyway,86 FXST,what size tire can i run with stock wheel? just 1/2 inch offset front sproket? what do ya do on rear sproket?

stroker800

I have squeezed in a 150 no problem ,,could have maybe got a 160 in. OK run an offset tranny sprocket (easy enuff) and on rear I have run offset sprockets as well and also had spacers made if the sprockey didn't have enuff offset..The nice thing bout a chain is its alittle less forgiving than a belt,,,alignment must be as straight as possible.
Dave

hbkeith

January 04, 2009, 10:12:47 AM #2 Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:21:49 AM by hbkeith
1/2 inch on tranny sprocket? what about rear sprocket flat or dished? also how many tooth sprockets are you running

gryphon

I've built a few bikes running chain using different frames and wheels. My experience has been that there are usually a number of ways to get it right. I've found that the easiest way for me has been to  run a 1/2" offset tranny sprocket then center the rear wheel with a flat sprocket. After the rear wheel is centered and aligned I place a straight edge (a level works great for this) against the rear sprocket and measure how much offset it needs to align to the tranny sprocket. Then, order the correct spacer from Vulcan. It will come with a female centering ring on one side and a male on the other to keep things aligned properly. You should be able to get it to within a couple of hundreth's this way. If it needs to be a little less then the correct amount can easily be lathed from the spacer.  Using this method will get your alignment dead on. As far as the gearing goes it all depends on the type of riding you do. I lost most of my notes when my computer crashed but if you aren't really prone to hole shots a good combination is a 24 tooth tranny sprocket and a 49 tooth rear wheel sprocket. I you later decide you want it lower you can switch to a 51t wheel sprocket. If you want it a little taller you can go with a 48 tooth sprocket.

hbkeith

thanks guys,as far as gearing goes , i weigh 230,i like to pull hard but i dont want to be revvin to hard at 75 either

89FLHT

You can get the entire kit straigh from Zippers.  Just did this for my 89 FLHT.  Takes all the guess work out of it and they'll let you know the tire size options.  They also offer gearing options as well...

gryphon

If you do decide to spend the crazey money that some of these companies want for some sprockets and spacers it is still a good idea to check your alignment with a known straight object (such as a level). I have seen at least one kit where the alignment was off by a good 1/8". That'll eat up your sprockets pretty quick (which it did). I allways try to get mine to within no more than a couple hundreths.

Reddog74usa

Give these guys a call (843)626-4789 there in Myrtle beach. I have used them twice when I did this belt to chain and it went great. All bolted up, lined up and way cheaper than Zippers. Chrome rear sprocket, nickle plated chain with PBI front sprocket and new tranny seal for 200 shipped.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

hbkeith

i quess it depends on the price you want to pay for a chain,but i can get front and rear sprockets and spacer for $65,i will use straight edge, thanks guys

Reddog74usa

The parts I received were a PBI hardened front sprocket, chrome rear sprocket, new tranny seal and a nickle plated o ring chain
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

hbkeith

whats the name of that place reddog?

Reddog74usa

I don't remember the name of the place as I saved it in my cell phone under chain drive  :embarrassed: I have used them twice with excellent service. There phone number is in a post a couple up from this.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

L-

I have converted Twin Cams to chain drive.  I use the .500 offset tranny sprocket and use a NON dished aluminum sprocket  with spacers. 530 chain.  Gryphon has got this down pat.  Those kits are expensive and have really shitty chains in my opinion. You can get a 530 ZZZ chain with about 11,000 lb. tensile strength.

Reddog74usa

January 24, 2009, 09:34:32 AM #13 Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 11:41:10 AM by Reddog74usa
Thanks L- I also used a .500 trans sprocket. Who makes the ZZZ chain and if these guys prices are to high where is a good place to get the parts for this swap? I'm putting a 113 in a FXLR and will probrobly go chain also. It will be on the street a lot so an oring may be the way for me to go.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Reddog74usa

Whats the number of links needed for a FXR?
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

L-

Reddog,

Here is the link I have.  Scroll to the bottom it is the last one.  They ain't cheap but they are strong and don't stretch like the other crap out there.  I can't tell you where to get  them cheap.  I just got one.  I don't know how many links for an FXR..... or for that matter on my '01 FLHR..... I just shove the tire forward, get the chain on there and punch out the extra links and then install a clip type master link.  I use an RK Chain kit that has all the punches and seating stuff for 0 ring type chain.

Reddog74usa

January 25, 2009, 03:55:26 PM #16 Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 03:57:04 PM by Reddog74usa
Thanks L-  :up: I know I have to cut the chain to fit I was just lookin for a ball park length.

Did you forget to add the link?
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

L-

Yep I will get it when I get home from work....sorry,

Reddog74usa

Thanks, Nice line of quality chains.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

L-

I am home and here is the link that I have:

http://www.1tail.com/sa/cart/category.asp?cg={A7B7ECC2-B772-4F79-82EA-2330C594F95C}

Yeah, these are top drawer chains. Pricy but beat the crap out of Diamond and others.

L-