May 06, 2024, 08:07:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1999 EG build

Started by doc a1, January 04, 2009, 04:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc a1

I have a 1999 EG standard with stage 1 done .I has kerker slip ons. I live in florida and ride 95% one up, weigh 200 lbs., and ride with the guys locally 90% of the time.  Wanting to go to bigger build and get the heads done.  What do you wrenchers here advise as an economical and strong but stable build?  Also would going with the new cam tensioners be the way to go ? or geared?     Thanks for the help guys......

Ratfade

Since your bike is a '99, either gears or the new chain are probably okay. I installed gears on my '00 a year ago, and I've been really happy with them.As far as the build goes, there are any number of good combinations out there depending on what you want (see the discussion on the Joe Minton build on this forum). The most important thing is that everything matches up. I'd suggest that once you've selected someone to do the head work, you get his recommendations as he'll be in the best position to evaluate all the components.

doc a1

any suggestions on good shops for getting heads done right ?

Hillside Motorcycle

Several options out there to achieve your goals.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

doc a1

looking for options, thanks

Ratfade

I'm having the heads on my 2000 EGC ported and refreshed this winter; I'm probably going to use Dewey's, but I'm also considering Big Boyz. There are a bunch of others, but these two are popular.

Hillside Motorcycle

A rock-solid combo with a small cam is 95-98", with a Wood TW-6G, and get the heads set up properly, such as our Stage II's.
Have no clue as to the number of these we have done in-house, as well as in kit form.
Power from right off the bottom, right up through.
Hope this helps.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

appledore52

Sounds to me like you are a good candidate to go with one of the engineered builds.  (complete kit) Several good ones out there that have a history of well engineered dependable builds with good service after the sale. I used Head-Quaters but they are not the only one. If you ask on HTT I'm sure you would get a good list.

Good Luck...REL

I'm starting to sound like a broken record
'01 EGC
95" 10:1 CR
HQ Heads HQ 39g's 43mm TMax Con. 2:1 SuperTrap 93T VPC