April 26, 2024, 10:56:52 PM

News:

Multimeter Suggestions?

Started by autoworker, January 04, 2009, 04:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoworker

My multimeter crapped out,an old Fluke that was given to me,and am looking to buy a new one.I don't want junk and don't need anything too extravagant.
I was looking at Fluke  models 117 and 115.They are a bit more $ than I really want to spend but could justify the cost if they are worth the cost.
I need one to test vehicles and stuff around the house.

Opinions or suggestions are appreciated.

It must be true,I read it on the internet.

thunderalley3

I have two Fluke 23 III 's. They will do anything that you need to do, and are very dependable. I bought the one new many years ago, and I was killing time one day, visiting the local pawn shops and found one, with a lead that had been taped. They were asking $50, bought it for $35, new leads for $15 for a total of $45 and it looks, and functions like new.
I know have one in my box at work, and one at home for those garage projects that I always forgot to bring my meter home from work for.
I think that you can not go wrong buying Fluke.  :pop:

Loose

chengdave2003

Ditto on the Fluke....

Quote from: thunderalley3 on January 04, 2009, 05:32:47 AMI think that you can not go wrong buying Fluke.  :pop:

Loose
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/chengdave2003/Harley%20Davidson/

crow

Knees in the Breeze is all I need........:)

hdpegscraper

I thought about a Fluke myself a few years back when I was lookin to get a multimeter. I wanted good quality, an AMP clamp (so I could check starter draw in the field), and I didnt want a bazillion settings on it, somethin simple ya know. Well, it was lookin like the AMP clamp alone was arround $200 bucks or so, on top of the initial multimeter price. Way more than I really wanted to spend. Untill, I found this handy unit from Mac Tools, simple, has the settings I need, and a built in AMP clamp. All for about the price of an AMP clamp alone. Now mine is the older version and dosnt do millievolts, but for me that was OK. I have also seen a similar design a Sears for about half price.  Just an option.

Glenn W

Ditto on the Fluke, but by now you must have some idea on how and how much you use a meter. When I was an automation tech in industry I used a Fluke digital and an old 260 Simpson for when I preferred a d'arvesal movement. If you only use it for odds & ends I'd go with a Fluke digital multi with the current feature. An upgrade from the older "clamp-on" ammeters, it just has two finger with a narrow slot to slip over the conductor. Don't have the # handy 'cause its at the shop.
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

Clintster

I use a Fluke for the HVAC and pumping equipment applications.  Nothing fancy, I don't have the model numbner memorized.  It was around one hundred at the local supply house.    :wink:
Drive fast, take chances

HotRock

I bought a Fluke 111 a few years ago when my old Simpson 260 bit the dust.  Cost me about $100 and does all I need to do.

autoworker

Thanks for the replies.
I ended up buying a Fluke 117 at Amazon.More features than I'll ever need,but wasn't much more $ than the lesser models. :up:
It must be true,I read it on the internet.