April 27, 2024, 03:32:00 AM

News:

Cooling fans

Started by mark61, January 04, 2009, 07:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark61

How bout some info on cooling fans as used on Vtwins? Considering putting 1 on my Y2K roadking. Try not to get stuck in traffic but it happens occasionally.  Does the fan come on automatically or turn it on manually? Very noisy? How about leg and knee interference issues? If it comes on automatically anyone have issues with it not turning off or coming on when not needed? Any opinions between the official HD fan and the LeNale fan?

Thanks for any help you can be!

mark61

panhead_dan

In my opinion, the HD "parade fan" will block airflow unless you are riding parade style. An oil cooler and maybe increased oil capacity would work better to keep her cool.

hdpegscraper

Ive always been on the look out for a small cooling fan, like the ones in computers, only for 12V. If I could find one compact enuf, I would like to mount it on the back side of my oil cooler. That way, in stop and go traffic, I could at least pull air through the cooler when the bike isnt moving.  Now the fan would prolly hinder max cooling at road speed, but at idle I think it would help.   Maybe some one here knows how to convert one?

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: hdpegscraper on January 04, 2009, 10:05:36 AM
Ive always been on the look out for a small cooling fan, like the ones in computers, only for 12V.

The computer fans are 12V.  No conversion necessary.  They will plug right in and run... until the first time it gets wet.  Then you'll have to toss it and replace it.  But then they only cost $2-$3 for a cheap one.

-Craig

hdpegscraper

Thanks Craig I didnt realize that. Got 3 outdated computers here, so im gona dig out one of those fans. Now if I can just do this and not make it look hideous.

wayzalot

I talked to a guy at Sturgis who had a chrome fan that was thermostatically controled.  I believe he bought it at HD.  He was upset with it.  It wouldn't come on when needed and then when he stopped and parked the bike it wouldn't go off.  He did not feel it did much good.  It went in place of the horn. Not sure where he put the horn.  About 5" in diametor.
"My life is based on a true story"

04Ultra

I have a Lenale fan on my Ultra. It keeps the oil temp down around 230. When I was stuck in the Daytona BikeOberfest downtown traffic I turned it on when the traffic stopped. It moves a lot of air but the rider gets the heat. Before I put it on the bike had gone into the over heat mode.

dartman

Im running the Lenale fan on my 09 Screamin Eagle Roadglide, I took it off my 07 Screamin EAgle Ultra, its controlled by the accessory switch, its a small,  good looking unit. that moves a ton of air for its size, if my motor is cooking, I could care less if it throws heat on my right leg, I just move the leg. Ive only needed it a few times but im really impressed at how well it functions.

86fxwg

I adapted the harley fan to a buddys 95" wideglide and he loves it, yes it does blow the heat on his leg but but in chocago traffic he swears it helped.And Yes its thermastaticly controled,The way he looked at it all the cop bikes sit road side in 100degree weather they all have one what can it hert.

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Phu Cat

Pegscraper, You'll find that fan will work better pushing air thru the cooler, rather than pulling it thru.  But if your engine is cooking, an oil cooler might be too little, too late.  You'd be better off cooling the engine itself.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.