April 27, 2024, 03:21:43 AM

News:

Drill Torque settings?

Started by Fxstchewy, January 04, 2009, 08:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fxstchewy

I have heard guys use their drills to put on and take off the Supertrapp endcaps/discs, they use the torque settings on the drill, does any body know what these settings on the drill refer too? is just a number or is it related to actual in/lbs numbers? I think it is a good idea but the supertrapp instructions says 15 INCH/lbs. it would be my luck that i would strip out all the holes.  :cry: Thanks Chewy.
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

tireater

Spray the screws with PB Blaster, loosen with t handle, remove with drill motor set at 1/2 on the clutch...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Jeffd

I use the drill to remove them but put them in by hand with a t-handle.  they do not need to be torq. very much, just snugged a bit. I have never had one loosen up.  Use copper anti sieze too.

Glenn W

The numbers on the various drills are arbitrary, even from "identical"  drill to drill they'll vary. The torque from the same drill on the same drill will even vary depending on the speed range setting. If there is a specific torque you wanted to use over and over you could try using a torque wrench to set a few screws to the proper set or just under. Then use a nut driver on your drill to see what setting just barley snugs the screws another 1/8 turn or so.
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

tireater

I safety wire the end cap on...I lost the entire baffle with discs when the 2 bottom screws fell out on the freeway...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Shadowdog

Howdy Folks,

My Supertrapp on the Sportster has pressed in to splines nuts and they come out of the splines very easily, I wouldn't use a drill on them.

Best to all,

Shadowdog
Best to all,

Shadowdog  Smoke um till the wheels fall off!