April 27, 2024, 07:16:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

IVO setting 2010 FLHTK

Started by 05Train, May 21, 2011, 09:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Train

OK, I'm confused.

I've just changed from a Fatcat to a Jackpot 2:1:2 headpipe with Carbon Billet mufflers.  I figured this'd be a good time to try an .mt8 map.  I'm using the same base map as I was in .mt7.  I transferred over the main lambda table and the throttle blade control, but left everything else alone.  I loaded the base map and did the cam test.  The map had it at 4, the test clearly showed that it broke at 5.

I've done half a dozen Vtune runs, and it appears I've got the fuel pretty much set, but......

My VEs are substantially lower than they were with the Fatcat's .mt7 map (which was created on a dyno by Dave at JD's).  The vast majority of the VEs were in the 80s and 90s before, now I've got a ton in the 50s and 60s.

So my question is this.....Would the IVO setting have that much to do with it?  I haven't tried setting it at 4 and VTuning because the stock cam clearly breaks at 5.

Thoughts?
2005 Vivid Black Night Train - Lots 'o black
'12 FLHTCUSE7

rbabos

Definate connection between the ivo, idle kpa and possibly the ve . Mine are lower as well than the mt7. I'm thinking anything between 40s and 127.5 should be fine. If the bike runs good, I'd be inclined to leave it as is.
From my experimenting a good indicator for ivo is the idle kpa. Mid to high 30s kpa seems to set the calibration points in a good spot for timing and afrs. Just my uneducated opinion. :wink:
Ron

05Train

Quote from: rbabos on May 22, 2011, 06:20:32 AM
Definate connection between the ivo, idle kpa and possibly the ve . Mine are lower as well than the mt7. I'm thinking anything between 40s and 127.5 should be fine. If the bike runs good, I'd be inclined to leave it as is.
From my experimenting a good indicator for ivo is the idle kpa. Mid to high 30s kpa seems to set the calibration points in a good spot for timing and afrs. Just my uneducated opinion. :wink:
Ron
Unfortunately, I changed more than one thing at once (the exhaust and the map), so I've got more than one thing to look at.  It never occurred to me to look at the idle kPa, I'll check that today.  I guess the IVO thing has me confused as the base map was set to 4 and the test showed 5.  It just seems to me that between that and the somewhat ambiguous instructions about the IVO setting ("use the number where the line breaks or one lower"), that it's a shot in the dark.

But then again, I don't do this for a living, so most of what I do is a shot in the dark.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

05Train

May 22, 2011, 08:52:49 AM #3 Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:55:56 AM by 05Train
OK, idle kPa is running right around 42.  I'm guessing that's too high?  How do I address that?

For the record, I'm running DTQ009-03-A0, cam's set at "5", only mods to the bike are a Ventilator a/c and the aforementioned Jackpot 2:1:2 headpipe with Carbon Billet mufflers.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

lonewolf

The egr tables also put one more number into the calculation of the ve's.

rbabos

Quote from: 05Train on May 22, 2011, 08:52:49 AM
OK, idle kPa is running right around 42.  I'm guessing that's too high?  How do I address that?

For the record, I'm running DTQ009-03-A0, cam's set at "5", only mods to the bike are a Ventilator a/c and the aforementioned Jackpot 2:1:2 headpipe with Carbon Billet mufflers.
Possibly use the default calibration cam #, but I'd wait for Steve's reply on this to be sure. It might be fine but 42 seems a bit high for idle.
Ron

exrn

QuoteDefinate connection between the ivo, idle kpa and possibly the ve . Mine are lower as well than the mt7. I'm thinking anything between 40s and 127.5 should be fine. If the bike runs good, I'd be inclined to leave it as is.
From my experimenting a good indicator for ivo is the idle kpa. Mid to high 30s kpa seems to set the calibration points in a good spot for timing and afrs. Just my uneducated opinion.
Ron
Now that is a gem. I have a 2010 Ultra, stock cams, using the tool I got a setting of 5. However, I couldn't get a v-tune to run, O2 sensors not switching, and stuck in the 'waiting' state. So I configured for  4, and no problem. Checking back on the scans I tried for a setting of 5, Idle is 45-46kpa, at 4 it is 32-34kpa.

lonewolf

Quote from: exrn on May 22, 2011, 04:08:34 PM
Now that is a gem. I have a 2010 Ultra, stock cams, using the tool I got a setting of 5. However, I couldn't get a v-tune to run, O2 sensors not switching, and stuck in the 'waiting' state. So I configured for  4, and no problem. Checking back on the scans I tried for a setting of 5, Idle is 45-46kpa, at 4 it is 32-34kpa

Had the same issue with a stock 2010 FLTRX on the dyno. Another thing I have seen on a couple is vtune goes into waiting mode around 55kpa, works at 53 and 57. I try and hold at the exact kpa of the column with the lambda calibrations. 

hrdtail78

("use the number where the line breaks or one lower")

I set where the line breaks and check idle kpa.  I'll set one lower to get my idle kpa in the 30's.  This allows me to have 20's for decel and leaves me more kpa for steady and acceleration.

Quote from: lonewolf on May 22, 2011, 05:09:35 PM
Another thing I have seen on a couple is vtune goes into waiting mode around 55kpa, works at 53 and 57. I try and hold at the exact kpa of the column with the lambda calibrations. 

I have also seen this, and IIRC it was at 3250.  I blamed it on the exhaust, because of the placement of the rear lambda sensor.  It was high on the pipe. Getting overheated?  Just a little change in throttle and it was back online.  Compared to the others that sometimes need some reving.   :nix:
Semper Fi

05Train

Interesting.  Well, I guess I'll try changing the IVO to "4" and see what it looks like.  Odd though why the "one lower" wouldn't be the ideal.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

rbabos

Quote from: 05Train on May 22, 2011, 07:22:31 PM
Interesting.  Well, I guess I'll try changing the IVO to "4" and see what it looks like.  Odd though why the "one lower" wouldn't be the ideal.
I actually went the other way. On the mt8 load with cal ivo I had 42 idle kpa. When setting the cam ivo from the data from 2 to 3 my idle came in a 38 average.
I'm stepping out on a limb here but for us DIYers try the cam ivo data first, but question it if the idle kpa is in the 40s. Everything is interconnected in these tables and since it's a MAP operated system kpa controls a good part of what goes on here.
Ron

hrdtail78

"I'm stepping out on a limb here but for us DIYers try the cam ivo data first, but question it if the idle kpa is in the 40s. Everything is interconnected in these tables and since it's a MAP operated system kpa controls a good part of what goes on here."

Is that just for DIY guys, or can everybody take the advice?  :hyst:
Semper Fi

rbabos

Quote from: hrdtail78 on May 22, 2011, 07:53:47 PM
"I'm stepping out on a limb here but for us DIYers try the cam ivo data first, but question it if the idle kpa is in the 40s. Everything is interconnected in these tables and since it's a MAP operated system kpa controls a good part of what goes on here."

Pros already know this kind of stuff, and us amateurs are always in catch up mode. Just keeping the info exchange moving forward with what I feel is reasonably accurate from back yard experiences.
This forum is top notch for hashing things out in the tuning department. :up:
Ron

05Train

Quote from: rbabos on May 22, 2011, 08:34:56 PM
Quote from: hrdtail78 on May 22, 2011, 07:53:47 PM

Pros already know this kind of stuff, and us amateurs are always in catch up mode. Just keeping the info exchange moving forward with what I feel is reasonably accurate from back yard experiences.
Ron
Absolutely, it never crossed my mind to look at the idle kPa.

It's just a shame I wasted the good weather this weekend tuning the wrong cam setting....I get to tune in the rain this week.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

mayor

Quote from: rbabos on May 22, 2011, 08:34:56 PM
I agree.   :up:  I think there's a great bunch of contributors here. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

05Train

OK, I changed the IVO back to "4", returned the VE tables back to the base map's, and away I went.  Enormous difference.  VEs are in the 80s & 90s where they were in the 50s & 60s before and idle kPa is running right around 28.  The bike runs better and feels crisper.  What took me 6 VTune runs to create on Saturday I was able to do with 3 today.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

mcouture

This is so familiar!  I started having problems when I moved from IVO 4 to 5. (See my thread - 2009 Street Glide VTuning w/MT8).