May 08, 2024, 10:45:40 AM

News:

neutral indicator switch

Started by 14Frisco, May 22, 2011, 08:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14Frisco

The little connector or terminal that "clamps" on top of the neutral indicator switch (33900-59C) is broken on my 1994 FLHR.  While removing the remnants I noticed that the "post" of the neutral indicator switch, the little cylindrical thing that sticks up and that you push the connector over, is kind of loose - I can spin it around and it wiggles.  I've never taken the switch off so I don't know if one is supposed to be able to wiggle it and rotate it, or whether mine is broken.  Anyone knows?

JBarrettB

CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

BluHarley

I just crimped it a little, soldered the wire back on, and it's been fine.  New ones are cheap and easy, I'd rather jury-rig it myself.  If it fails, I know why!

14Frisco

Quote from: BluHarley on May 24, 2011, 06:11:31 PM
I just crimped it a little, soldered the wire back on, and it's been fine.  New ones are cheap and easy, I'd rather jury-rig it myself.  If it fails, I know why!

I was asking about the switch, not the connector - the connector is broken allright, that much I know.

BluHarley

harleytoprock

Its not really a switch. The thingy at the bottom is a contact thats makes contact with a bump on the shift drum in the neutral position. When it touches the bump it completes the circuit to ground and the light goes on. The thingy is insulated from the rest of the housing that screws into the trans top.

14Frisco

Quote from: JBarrettB on May 23, 2011, 06:33:04 AM
It needs to be replaced.

Yes, you are correct.  I bought a new switch and the top post on the new one does not move, wiggle or rotate.