Valve Train Noise-Need Help *Problem Solved* I am a Dumb A$$.

Started by Tre_11 FLHX, January 04, 2009, 11:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tre_11 FLHX

Yesterday I mentioned that I had an undetermined noise coming from the front jug- Tried to isolate with a wooden dowel to the ear. Could not pinpoint it. Thought maybe I had rocker box clearance problems- took the cover off- check spring clearance and found .085 or better all around both springs.  Then I read where MaineUltra had to clearance the intake valve pocket on his setup (very similar to mine) so it had me wondering (I did not open up the valve pockets) but i did check clearance I had:

Front Jug:
intake: .063
Exh: .067

Rear Jug:
intake .064
Exh .067

I also readjusted the pushrods.

After doing all of the above there is still noticeable topend noise.  This could be due to the cam, the TW6HG and the T8s were definitely loud in my experience- would appreciate any advise.

As always TIA

Mike
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

KingofCubes

Tre_11 FLHX

King0fcubes- Syn3 and louder when hot.
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

KingofCubes

That's probably your noise, change to straight fossil  and see if the noise stops.

Tre_11 FLHX

Kingofcubes- I will give that a try.  Its not bad, just different than stock, thought maybe I had a spring making contact with the rocker box.

Don D

Clearance the boxes with beehives?

itsafatboy

if its on the exhaust side of rocker same thing i had with the tw8g steep ramp noisey when hot especially at hot idle,  was wondering would a 20/60 redline work or is straite weight better, i thought you need the 20/ for cold start or is that a myth. was thinking of using the redline 20/60 or maybe 2 qts 20/60 1 qts 20/50, also on the straite weight is a straite synthetic ok or does it need to be dyno.

Tre_11 FLHX

Don,
I thought the same thing on the boxes- pulled the covers-plugs and rolled the back wheel- My clearance was good. .085 or better between spring and box at various heights.  Just took it for another ride and on initial start up sound was the normal sewing machine sound to begin with. After 3 miles seemed to get a little louder. 

Tomorrow I will put in some Dyno 20/50 as it is time for the break in change anyway, other than the the noise- I am Happy with the build!

Mike

KingofCubes

Quote from: itsafatboy on January 04, 2009, 04:48:05 PM
if its on the exhaust side of rocker same thing i had with the tw8g steep ramp noisey when hot especially at hot idle,  was wondering would a 20/60 redline work or is straite weight better, i thought you need the 20/ for cold start or is that a myth. was thinking of using the redline 20/60 or maybe 2 qts 20/60 1 qts 20/50, also on the straite weight is a straite synthetic ok or does it need to be dyno.
Dyno, the synth is usually the main problem, takes on air easier. The hot pee thin multigrade seems to be secondary.

Hillside Motorcycle

May want to try loading the lifter .140-.150".
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Tre_11 FLHX

OK, for three days I have been chasing a noise that has been driving me crazy, I pulled the covers rechecked the spring clearance readjusted the Pushrods, Checked my notes for the piston to valve clearance and so on. I was able to hear the noise but could not isolate it on either jug using a wooden dowel to the ear. 

Well after doing that, I decided to check the exhaust flange nuts and guess what.....the front jug was loose  :bf: -not sure how I missed it, but it sure drove me crazy.  Bike is sewing machine quite now.  Was just about ready to change the oil to Dyno as suggested, I will continue to use synthetic.

Thanks for all the advise

Mike