April 27, 2024, 04:35:21 AM

News:

PROGRESSIVE Shocks vs. AIR Shocks

Started by DarrellV, January 04, 2009, 11:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrellV

I know some guys have changed their Air Shocks to Progressive Shocks on their TOURING Models. What are the real advantages in doing this? Are Progressive Shocks that much different than the factory air shocks? I'm saying if they where the same length, same seat height. Would there be much difference in the two shocks?

Coyote

I put the heavy duty 440's on my 07 Ultra. It took care of 90% of the handling complaints I had. The front shocks are next. Best money I've spent on the bike. They sell different lengths but I kept the same as stock so the seat stayed the same height.  :up:

PC_Hater

The last time I had a test ride on an FL was in 2005.
At that time the factory air shocks were still rubbish.
Progressive 440s are better than the factory air shocks but they are still not perfect.
You might want try removing the oil from the HD air shocks and replacing it with something a bit thicker.
Hunt through the various postings here for how to do it.

I know for certain that up to 2005 factory shocks do not have enough damping. Fitting Progressive 440s cures that. However, Progressive 440s still top-out just like the factory shocks.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Skeet

I put a set on my 96 FLHR matching the stock length. Granted my shocks were old as the bike but I absolutely loved the 440's on my Road King. I ride two up mostly and my gravitational pull is a little over the top so the adjustable ride is nice. Eliminated bottoming out completely.  Liked them enough that I kept them when I parted with the RK and they are now on my 2009 FLTRSE3 CVO. They are a little longer than the stock length on the Road Glide but barely noticeable. The really nice thing is that you never need worry about how much air is in your shocks. Money well spent in my opinion!
2009 FLTR SE3

DaleW

I put a set of 13.5" progressives on my 04 UC,I picked them up used as I cant really afford a set of Penskes at the moment.

Dont have to worry about pumping them up,they offer a lot more travel and with the longer shocks, better ground clearance.

If I hadnt managed to get this set cheap, $145,I think that I'd rather pay $1000 for the Penskes than $400 for new progressives.The Penskes are top quality rebuildable shocks that can be tuned to work just the way you want them.

Dale
2009 RoadKing Classic

snoman

I've refilled several sets of stock 13" H.D. shocks with good results for friends . Use belray 7-10 weight . One S.E. ultra
really improved by swapping out the stock short shocks to refilled 13"'ers .
  Picked up the info on past posts from "texasbowhunter" . Much appreciated .  :up:
  I use 1" lowering brackets on the rear of mine . Works well and still can adjust air as needed . Hard for me to justify the cost of new shocks . Yes , I'm sure $1000 dollar shocks would be better . They're out of my league .
   sno

rking1550

I have a 01 roadking , back in 01 I put on harley low profile shocks - noticed a harsher ride right away. I thought they would soften up after a few miles -no way . After a bout 5 or 6 years and 25k miles I took them off and put on a set of 12" 440's (used). BIG difference right a way even the wife noticed on her first ride with them on the bike. it was like being on a new bike.
  I cann't compare to other shocks because I haven't used any others, but I'm very happy with the 440's over the HD stock and low profile shocks. :smiled:
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR