April 27, 2024, 12:51:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Where did Myrtle Beach Bike week move to?

Started by twoup, January 04, 2009, 04:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoup

I know Myrtle Beach through out Bike week and heard that it might move to Hilton Head. Dose anyone know the dates.

truck

I didn't know they did away with Bike Week, just thought they tightened the noose.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Skullfork

January 04, 2009, 05:11:25 PM #2 Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:16:00 PM by Evil-Eagle
The following is from the myrtlebeachrallybiker.com site, and so far it's still on as planned.  The only difference I'm reading now is there's a push to combine both weeks (Harley + Black Week) as a show of consolidarity and to make it even larger ...now that would be interesting  :pop:

SPRING RALLY 2009 NEWS 
Myrtle Beach Bikeweek May 8--17, 2009

SPRING RALLY 2009 NEWS:

2009 Spring Rally IS ON! And planned for May 7-17 2009. Due to all the publicity and anti-biker sentiment in the media we suspect that the rally for 2009 will be an even stronger rally. Currently it is being proposed that if we combine the Memorial Weekend Rally with this rally (a.k.a. Harley week) during these dates it will greatly improve the size of the rally and the variety of happenings every motorcyclist can enjoy. Combining the rallies benefits the Memorial Weekend riders so much more with the added duration of the rally and the quantity of events they can partake in all over the Grand Strand. Other suggestions is to move the rally to the last week in April. Check back here for future updates on the rally.

topcat3815

I dont think they have moved it . But if they did Hilton Head would would be the last place they would move it to. Hilton Head with there uppity golfer attitude would go nuts if a bike week was there . Those people would go nuts and talk about nothing to do wow. If it moved I would like to see it move to the N.C. outer banks. Those people dont have the Sear around crowds like Myrtle and they sincerly appreciate bikers and there money. I went to the last 2 outer banks rally held in April and had a great time. The place we stay at was  great they even let a guy set up a sound system in the parking lot and we partied. Several times locals came up to us and told us they really appreciated our business and told us to party on.

Memnar

Quote from: topcat3815 on January 04, 2009, 05:18:05 PM
I dont think they have moved it . But if they did Hilton Head would would be the last place they would move it to. Hilton Head with there uppity golfer attitude would go nuts if a bike week was there . Those people would go nuts and talk about nothing to do wow. If it moved I would like to see it move to the N.C. outer banks. Those people dont have the Sear around crowds like Myrtle and they sincerly appreciate bikers and there money. I went to the last 2 outer banks rally held in April and had a great time. The place we stay at was  great they even let a guy set up a sound system in the parking lot and we partied. Several times locals came up to us and told us they really appreciated our business and told us to party on.

I really agree - Hilton Head would be the worse place for a biker rally. But it was great for our honeymooon :up:
Albuquerque, NM.

Flat Dog

I've read a letter or two from the Mayor/council members. I wouldn't drop a nickel of my cash there.

Panzer

January 04, 2009, 05:50:50 PM #6 Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:53:26 PM by Panzer
Harley and Black week combined........yeah right.
I talked to a couple that vacations in MB.
They said when black week is held, all hell breaks out.
Goof balls running around naked, all kinds of stunts on rice rockets, fights, tearing up local shop fronts, ect.
Some shops, so this couple said, board up store fronts and shut down, prior to black week.
Even the couple I talked to won't come to MB during black week.
If that's the case, is it any wonder that bike week gets a bad rap for the goings on from black week.  In their eyes (the towns people) bikers are no good, black or white.
I was at MB during bike week (May 9th to 16th) this past spring and all was cool the five days I was there.
I haven't seen black week in person, so I treat hearsay as a rumor, until proven otherwise.
Hearsay.....rumor?    You tell me !
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Skullfork

Panzer ...I don't see that happening either.  A good friend of mine lives in Myrtle and he says the exact same thing you do about all the problems you mentioned with Black Bike Week that they don't have with Harley Week. Another friend who actually went to Black Bike Week two years ago said he was shocked at how out of control it was compared to Harley Week ...

A couple years ago the NAACP filed a lawsuit against the city because they had controlled traffic regulations on Ocean Blvd for black bike week that they didn't have for Harley week.  So to settle the lawsuit, those regulations now apply to both weeks (one-way traffic on the blvd). 

The NAACP also filed descrimination suits against those shop owners who closed during black bike week ...don't know how that turned out??

I don't think it's a racial thing. It's just that Harley Week is a lot older, more mature crowd compared to Black Bike Week which is mostly immature kids causing the problems ...

02roadcling

Just try to name a bike week "White Bike Week: and the kkk would prolly file a lawsuit against the chicken joints closing too, lol.
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

highlander

Why are we just sitting here, Lets ride.

Fxstchewy

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

Flat Dog

Holy crap-why would anyone even want to visit, let alone live there?

http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/newordinances.html

Reads like a Florida snowbird condo nazi rule book.

Django

most of us locals,(theres a lot of us) plan to boycott the city of Myrtle Beach, by staying in N. Myrtle and Little River on the north side, and Surfside and Murells inlet on the southside. All we do is ride Rte31 south to 544, to get around Myrtle..Let the city suck wind for our business..

PosseRider

Looks like Outer Banks are going to do, 2 a year now. MB is too crowded anyway.
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio

coolingfin

Quote from: Evil-Eagle on January 04, 2009, 06:58:14 PM
[I don't think it's a racial thing. It's just that Harley Week is a lot older, more mature crowd compared to Black Bike Week which is mostly immature kids causing the problems ...

Bike week is practically a geriatric event... even college kids at Spring Break are more rowdy...at least in Daytona.

RK101

I can tell you this that COMFORT INN at the Outer Banks is a SH8 Hole. One problem after another with that place. Never Again. Just a little heads up.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Skullfork

Coolingfin ...I agree.  I've been to MB during spring break and in my opinion there's more problems than there is with bike week from what I've seen. And it's just as noisy with all those cars with the boombox exhausts and stereo's a thumpin'.

Like Django says, if I do decide to go there this year, I'll be staying in Surfside and completely avoiding MB ...

76shuvlinoff

Went two years in a row then took 08 off from it. I did have a good time but I found I really only missed SBD.  My buddy is saying we need to get back that way in 09 but I'm not convinced.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

1JITSU1

I dont like to go anywere they dont like me or my money
they should take the money black or white
if im in business and making money what ever happen   happen
Ill fix it and go on with my business that how business is
its the big wig the head huncho the mayor who dont want bike week  not the town
I dont know a biker that is cheap
that why I thing we should find some were they like biker and there money  :duel:

HarleyCharley

After doing MB rally more than 35 yrs. I'm done. It's off to the Smokey mountains for me. Cooler and better ridin'.