April 27, 2024, 03:45:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

title a new frame

Started by HILLBILLY, January 04, 2009, 04:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HILLBILLY

im thinking of buying a new frame and was wondering if anyone new how much trouble it would be to get it titled im in tx if ti makes a difference any info would help thanks

rigidthumper

Most states will assign a title, and new state issued VIN number, after you provide the Highway Patrol  inspectors with a completed ( ready to pass a safety inspection) vehicle, paperwork proving all parts were legally purchased, ( which includes copy of signed, notarized titles attached to bill of sales for any used parts, also signed and notarized, indicating which parts came off the donor bike) stacks of receipts, MSOs (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) for the engine, frame, tranny, front end, etc. Once they finally get you a title, then you have to fight with insurance companies to get enough coverage to meet state minimums, so you can license the bike for daily use. IME, a real pain in the ass. I had better luck buying a blowed up POS with a clean title and changing everything I felt like except the paperwork.
HTH
Robin
And you cant buy any frame and have it titled as a Harley-not even from HD. It will be titled as "Special Construction", or something like that.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hdzcar

In Georgia you will get a "Salvage Title".

byoodah

Hillbilly,
I bought a swap meet special out of state while I was living in Texas. Went through the hoops that rigid thumper states in his post. Paperwork and vehicle inspection, Texas VIN on a plate to rivet to the frame, Titled as a "special construction" if I remember correctly. Insurance was high - though I think there's ways around that. One other warning the Cop that did the inspections gave me was that although the TX VIN was valid in Texas, when you go out of state there's no guarantees that other states will recognize it. I rode it for a while after I got it together, then wound up selling it. I don't need any (more) reasons to be harrassed while on a road trip.
I got a buddy in Ft Worth that bought up a bunch of stuff from American Iron Horse went they sold out, and he's building a ride right now. It'll be interesting to see how he winds up.
Good Luck,
byoodah
Here's to the ones serving to keep me free, and to them no longer here with me.

HILLBILLY

thanks everyone for the info i have a tx titled tx issued vin custom bike that i have pulled apart it was a dyna style frame and i wanted a 250 softail thats y i was asking i just dont know what im going to do :bf: but im glad i asked before my purchase