April 27, 2024, 04:13:32 PM

News:

Primary chain

Started by Grayrider, November 03, 2008, 06:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grayrider

Looking to adjust the primary chain on my 97' heritage. Book says about 3/4" play.
I set that, but it seems to be pretty loose!  Thinking I may not be checking it right!
is there a right and wrong way to check and set? 
And does the chain expand and stretch when it gets hot? 
Too loose, it can rattle and hit the cover, too tight???
What's too tight? What will happen?
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

Kirbo

You check it cold and mid way between sprockets. hold chain downward and set a zero on your ruler, push all play upwards and check amount of travel. Should be in spec in your manual. If too loose it will start eating whatever it hits and be hard shifting at times. If too tight it'll put too much strain on bearings, shafts, pulleys whatever its connected to it.
Ride Safe

dave_9113

November 03, 2008, 07:34:11 PM #2 Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:35:50 PM by dave_9113
You'd want to loosen up the adjusting shoe and check upper middle between the 2 sprockets.  My book '94 calls for 5/8-7/8 in cold and 3/8-5/8 hot.  Rotate to tighten spot then adjust from there.  Best if you can have the bike upright and rear wheel off the ground.

oh and....I had to do a double take at your sign on name.  Glad I'm not homophobic. :-)

dave

ceduby

Also if it's too tight you'll hear a whine when you're rolling down the road.
Beat it to fit, paint it to match

Phu Cat

Glad I'm not homophobic. :-)

Too funny, Dave.  I used to work with a guy by the name of Gaylord.  We called him Dean since that was his middle name.  Wouldn't ya know he had one of the foxiest OLs we'd ever seen?!

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

dave_9113

Quote from: Phu Cat on November 04, 2008, 11:20:35 AM

Wouldn't ya know he had one of the foxiest OLs we'd ever seen?!

Obvious cover up! ;)

dave