April 27, 2024, 12:59:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Satellite radio for Ultra Glide

Started by Ryder, January 04, 2009, 07:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryder

I've been thinkin about satellite radio for the bike. I have checked out the internet and the prices seem to vary between $50 to $400. Some of the cost is for a mounting kit. I have the 3 pouchs inside of the windshield and hoped to use one to hold the tuner. I don't plan on trying to surf the channels riding down the road. I can stop and do that.   

It looks like I have to get a satellite antenna also. Some on the internet sites show a harness that plugs in the radio and has a lead coming off of it. Does that lead plug into a satellite antenna? I would like to keep as much of the wiring inside the faring as possible.

My stock radio sounds real good when I around a big city with good reception. But most on the time going to and from work I am out in the sticks.

Just wondering what products are being used, how they work, and where to purchase the stuff I need?

Thanks

Sonny S.

Here is what I did. Just stuck the antenna on top the radio. Look in the last photo you will see how I ran the wire in to the AUX port on the radio. Works great !! Not all radio's will fit....
The pouch does close straight, just blinked for the photo...lol

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Sonny S.

Thought I would add this photo showing the wires going from the pouch to the inner fairing

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Ryder

Thanks for the pictures. That's what I had in mind. It took me awhile to spot the antenna. I guess it would work inside the faring, good idea. I see you used the mount inside of the pouch. That's is neat too. If I did something like that I could use the tuner on another vehicle.

Thanks for the tips and pictures.

Nick

vans24

I tried the antenna in the fairing . it didnt work lost reception in certain directions. I ended up gluing it on top of the reciever and it worked fine after that ..

low_rider1979

I did mine similarly to Sonny, have the antenna inside the fairing sitting on top of the radio.  So far I have not had any issue with receptions in the wide open spaces.  I didn't make mine as permanent as Sonny though, I use the aux plug-in.
HTT member since 2002