May 06, 2024, 08:11:46 AM

News:

more build questions, cams and heads

Started by lbchopperscott, January 04, 2009, 08:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbchopperscott

Hi everyone,  doing a build over the next month or so (cant quite call it a winter build in socal) but heres the existing setup..
2000 FLTRI-  power commander-
SE 203 cams,  Hi flow a/c
V&H 2-1 Pro-pipe
25k miles, 12 k on cams.  had adjustable pushrods, new inner bearings and new roller lifters put in when the cams were installed 3 years ago. What Im looking for-
More mid and upper power.  More pulling through all the gears. the 203 seems to fall off fast.  Im usually on the freeways about 3-3200 and there is no more pull out of this setup.  kind of boring.  Basically stock at this point.
1. looking for the right cam, right heads and 95-98 build- suggestions welcome-
2. can I reuse the lifters/pushrods/inner bearings?
3. would it be wise to upgrade the oil pump at this time? feuling or other?
4. Also I am planning on losing the EFI and converting to carb-  Got a free CV44,  and am using a Crane coil and ignition w/ it...
Have been eyeing the GMR build as well as a DMmega sphere build w/ 590 cam-  any opinions here? 
I've been reading and trying to absorb all this,  just would like some more input and ideas...
Thanks!

se

GMR uses R&R parts. if you go with a mackie i would go with his heads as well. plenty of options out there look around there are packages and vendors who will treat you right..
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

Don D

What is your budget and hp expectations?

lbchopperscott

R&R-- I assume is removed and replaced? 
budget is 2-3 grand
95-100 hp unreasonable? ...

Hillside Motorcycle

R&R is R&R Cycles.

An Andrews, 31, 37, Wood 6, or R&R 525 will all get-r'-done if staying with bolt-in grinds. All of these hover around the 10.1 compression ratio.
More on tap, if going to larger cams/compression.
Good head work will determine good power. :smile:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

wfolarry

...........and keep you within your budget. :teeth:

lbchopperscott

So it sounds like I should pick my cam....then talk to whoever is working the heads for the best flow matching to the cam...If I  dont go with an off the shelf package (GMR, DM type deal)..  Assuming that is it,  am I still safe to reuse my existing lifters, pushrods and inner cam bearings?  or swap the inners since i am already in the cam chest? 
what about the higher flow oil pump?  recommended or is stock fine?

Many Thanks
Scott

mayor

Quote from: lbchopperscott on January 05, 2009, 11:19:50 AM
So it sounds like I should pick my cam....then talk to whoever is working the heads for the best flow matching to the cam...If I  dont go with an off the shelf package (GMR, DM type deal)..  Assuming that is it,  am I still safe to reuse my existing lifters, pushrods and inner cam bearings?  or swap the inners since i am already in the cam chest? 

Many Thanks
Scott

I like picking the cam first.   There's quite a few cams that will put you in that HP range with head work. The Andrews TW37's are a can't miss with quality head work. Reusing existing lifters are fine, reusing pushrods are fine (depending on how much heads are shaved, and cam choice), reusing inner cam bearings is not recommended. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Don D

mayor knows the ropes
Getting it done within the budget, easy
Getting it done with a quiet valvetrain, good manors at all speeds and able to run pump gas without pinging not as easy but very possible.
The company you choose will tell you what is appropriate to change and keep based on their experience, and hopefully give it a fair shake without the salesman hat on, and suggest a head package appropriate to the build.
We got that power all day long on carb 99-2000 TCs. The MM injected motor is a bit harder to squeak the last 5hp in a 95" motor. 90/100+ is possible with an Andrews tw37 or Woods tw5 build, street ported heads and reasonable compression. Good pipes (you already have that) and a tune are essential to get there. Back in 2003 spent a lot of time with a 2001 RK test bike and found out what worked and didn't. Ended up with 100/100 but that was with a TB change to a HPInc. A carb would have been more cost effective in retrospect.

se

the 37g build with baisley heads and stock t/b and 9,5 compression will put you a little over 100/100.
no compression releases
and a very quiet valve train.
i could send you a 37g dyno sheet to look at if you would like....
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

Sailor285

I run an Andrews 44 in my 04 Heritage with a set of SE heads , 030 cometic Supertrapp Supermeg and a CV 40 carb...Pulls like hell from 3K up!!!!

Dan

Bakon

Reading your post you have a fuel injected mm bike. You also asked for more upper end 3000 rpm and up.

The comments of the tb being a limiter are true, but 100/100 is possible with the stock mm tb.

From my own experience I ran a 2001 Ultra (MM tb) with the SE heads and SE 10.5:1 pistons, Zippers Redshift 577 geared cam, stock cam plate but a Fueling pump with Zippers spring shim (didn't want to stretch stock spring). Had PCIII and S&S roller rockers. It ran very good to the rev limiter, pulled the hardest from 3k up but was fine down low. The intake close is 46 so I never used compression releases.

Some here can make those stock heads work with 10.5 pistons and flow better. Mine was out of the box, SE gasket so the quench was probably off. You 2:1 pipe is also better than the Rinwehart tru dual I ran so you should break my 100/100 easy.
wasting time

lbchopperscott

Thanks for all the input..I havent fully decided yet but will be talking to a few  head shops this week...will keep you all posted as I will definetly have more questions as I go ...

Scott

nc-renegade

I just finished a 2000 Road King.  Went with a kit from T-Man Performance.  I used his Stage II kit with his drop-in TR-525 cam and 95 bore and forged pistons, I also converted to the new cam tensioners.  The customer wanted to stay around 9.5:1, so that cam works well there.  He already had a Thunderheader 2 to 1 exhaust and Stage I air cleaner.

He kept the M&M injection, so I put in a PCIII.  The bike is running real strong and I bet it will make over 100 when we tune it.

This build fits your budget at $1895 Heads, Bore and Pistons, gasket kit and cams (not including the PCIII or cam tensioner conversion)

His build started out the same as yours including the 203 cam.  It is like night and day.

I would change the inner cam bearings and lifters just because I'm in there, reuse your pushrods.  You would have to clearance the cam chest, pushrod tubes and rocker box covers if you go to the 590 lift.  If you want more lift than .525" then I would put in TR's TR-625 cam and set compression to 10:1.  It is a great cam for that build and produces tons of power.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

HVYMTL6

Don D

It is not wise to look at these build scenerios as absolutes but rather probabilities.
Sure I could get a stock TB MM bike 95" to go 100/100 or over but it would be high compression, and have a cam that ran out the back door, have to have a great tune and pipe. The same motor would go 10/10 higher with a MIK45. So is it possible, sure. Is it probable to do that the majority of the time (this is not a good heads or good cams and all that stuff arguement)? Not likely for most and the low percentile of users that reach that would likely be going to extremes to crutch the throttle body limitations. What is not pointed out much in these discussions is these TBs don't just fall off the earth at a certain HP/ airflow level, they just become the constraint and the rate of decline depends on a lot of factors.

appledore52

After I did the build on my '01 EGC with MM EFI it ran the best when I saw the MM EFI in a box on the floor of my shop. Do yourself a favor and either put a carb or aftermarket EFI on it. In my experience the MM EFI is fine with a stock 88 but once you start playing around it can get ugly real quick. Unless you like to tinker don't mind the frustration or have a mechanic that is real good with the MM EFI (I never found one) swap it out.

just my 02 cents...REL
'01 EGC
95" 10:1 CR
HQ Heads HQ 39g's 43mm TMax Con. 2:1 SuperTrap 93T VPC

lbchopperscott

I like what you said abut the MM, apledore.  I feel the same way,  its been somewhat of a saga with mine,  which is why I am doing the carb conversion on it.  I just cant see myself doing this build and staying with the MM system only to run into more problems.  Not that the carb is worry free, but I like my odds better.  Thanks for the tip on the T-man deal,  looks like a good deal,  but am talking later this week with a local machine shop here in Van Nuys CA who does quite a bit of work. Does anyone have any opinions on the Woods 6G or that T-man 525 cam?  Looks like a bit more lift and duration on the Tman.  Anyways,  I appreciate all the input.  Thanks
Scott