May 06, 2024, 08:08:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cam Chain tensioners

Started by slypig, January 05, 2009, 08:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slypig

-Do the cams need to be remover from the camplate to change the secondary (inside) tensioner? 

Thanks
Slypig
Panama City Fl

ameagle13

Good Luck,
J

02roadcling

Use the oven method. No big deal.
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

HarleyInNH

No, the cams do NOT have to be removed from the cam support plate to change the inner or outer tensioners.

Remove the cam chest cover, unload the pushrods (see your Shop Manual for the procedure), unload the outer tensioner and remove the cam support plate. You can now easliy access the inner tensioner for replacement.

Again, the cams do NOT have to be removed from the cam support plate if all you want to do is change the tensioners!

Good luck!
My pride is cheap, my Harley is not.

Scurvy

Access it yes, but remove it? I sure couldn't, no way to unload it on my '05 with the cams in. Wasn't a big deal as I had a press and new outer bearings I just wanted to see if it could be done.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

fatboy

Quote from: HarleyInNH on January 05, 2009, 10:07:33 AM

No, the cams do NOT have to be removed from the cam support plate to change the inner or outer tensioners.

Remove the cam chest cover, unload the pushrods (see your Shop Manual for the procedure), unload the outer tensioner and remove the cam support plate. You can now easliy access the inner tensioner for replacement.

Again, the cams do NOT have to be removed from the cam support plate if all you want to do is change the tensioners!

Good luck!

Are you sure, heard that you must for the inner tensioner???????
Did you try this and on what model?

HarleyInNH

:bf: :bf: :bf: :bf: :bf:

I do NOT know what I was thinking, but it obviously was not right.

My bad guys. I just looked at my old '03 cam plate and sure enough, I can't unload the tensioner enough to change it EITHER.

So, I am wrong on this count, and am sorry to dispense incorrect info or lead someone down a path they didn't have to follow.

(hell of a way to start a new year.......)    :embarrassed:
My pride is cheap, my Harley is not.