April 30, 2024, 03:29:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Starting issues

Started by oldskool, June 04, 2011, 11:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

Sounds kinda like a grinding noise thought it was the Starter drive gear,But put in a known good one along with the starter shaft and no change it is cranking over but making a grinding sound and not fully engaging?? Already adjusted clutch and it's still the same! maybe solenoid is not engaging properly?Everything is fairly new on this bike!Any suggestions would be appreciated!

oldskool

Looks like solenoid! Had the clutch cover off and got to look at the starter driver gear while engaged and while cranking over it engages and disengages and engages and disengages! you get the picture! I'm gonna swap a solenoid out!

easyricer

Put a multimeter on the battery while cranking over. With a fully charged battery (12.8-13.2Volts) it should not drop lower than 10 volts for a strong battery. If it does, I'd remove, charge and load test the battery, then check cables and connections. Sounds to me like you are loosing battery power to either a dieing cell or bad cable.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!