May 06, 2024, 03:07:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

tires for 21" front wheel on touring bike

Started by eojav, January 05, 2009, 09:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eojav

Those of you running a 21" wheel on the front of your touring bike, I'd like to know what you run for tires both front and rear.  I have found the dunlop elite to be a reasonably priced tire for the front but what about the rear?

Sonny S.

FYI :

you realize that you are going from a 16" tire that is rated for about 770 lbs. to 21" rated for about 440-470 ...don't you ?

fstbgr01

i run a metzler on my 01 roadking with a 21" pm wheel and a metzler on the rear

PC_Hater

The 21" bagger front tyres aren't the skinny little things the softails use... Not if you have any sense anyway!
They are 120mm wide.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

calif phil

Metzeler published a warning about running 21"s on a dresser. They said dont do it but I know many who do.

biggzed

Quote from: Sonny S. on January 05, 2009, 09:19:07 AM
FYI :

you realize that you are going from a 16" tire that is rated for about 770 lbs. to 21" rated for about 440-470 ...don't you ?

The Metzler ME880 Bias-ply front 120/70/21 has a load capacity of 584lbs. Still less than a stock 16", but thought I would throw out the actual number for reference. I think Sonny was referencing the 90/21 that comes stock on softails and dyna WG's.

Quote from: calif phil on January 05, 2009, 01:16:33 PM
Metzeler published a warning about running 21"s on a dresser. They said dont do it but I know many who do.

Does anyone have a copy of this warning? I've heard about it for a while now, but have never been able to actually read it. If anyone has it, please post it. I'm not arguing there will never be a problem running this tire on my bagger, I would just like to read the details of what Metzler has to say about it.

To answer the OP question: I'm running a Metz ME880 120/70/21 frt and a Metz ME880 150/70/18 rear on my '07 Road Glide.

Zach

Sonny S.

Sonny S.

I just read through that link, and where they list all of their tire upgrades, not once do they list a 21" to replace 16's.
Their stage 1 upgrade is a tire change, stage 2 is wheel change...no 21's replacing 16's, 18's to replace 16's.
Not saying it can't be done safely......just sayin.
I guess if you are putting a 21" front on a touring bike you are prolly not loading it down or doing much touring...so ..WTF

biggzed

Don't know what you define as touring, but I've been gone on the bike for 3-4 days at a time (1200 - 1800 mile round trippers) with both bags full and a tent strapped to the bike a half dozen times in the year and a half I've had it in this set-up. Haven't had a problem yet. Doesn't mean I won't, but I can always hope. I'm also very diligent about maintaining proper air pressure in these tires. I keep 46 in the rear and 48 in the front. I recently cleared 10K miles on this rear tire, and it will go at least another 2K I'm guessing.

This issue of load rating comes up a lot. I know what the ratings are, but what I don't know is what the bike actually weighs over each wheel. I guess next time I load it up (probably April for a run to Reno) I will try to see if I can get a scale under each wheel (with me on it) and find out. I'm pretty sure I won't have over 584lbs over the front tire, but I could be wrong. I know the Moco spec'd those tires and that load rating for a reason, and anything less than that is taking on a certain amount of risk.

Thanks for the link, I came across it a while ago on the Metzler site as well.

Zach

Mike52

Here's something I'll bet nobody thinks about  :bf: regarding the load rating for the stock Touring bike tires, wouldn't these load ratings also include the possibility of attaching a sidecar to the Touring bikes. You know HD is going to put tires on the Touring models with load ratings necessary for the attachment of a sidecar. Have you ever heard of anyone that put a sidecar on a Touring model and also upgraded to heavier load rated tires, I haven't. So in my opinion, the argument of insufficient load rating on a 120/21" front tire on a Touring bike is unfounded. I happen to really like the look of the 120/21" front tire on a bagger. You also have to remember that a 21" front tire  is approximately 3" taller than the original 16" tire and will raise the front on the bagger about 1½".

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

biggzed

Interesting point Mike. I know a side-car raises the total vehicle weight by a couple of hundred pounds, but because the chair is supported by its' own wheel, I wonder if it effects the load on the bike tires much?

This thread has really made me want to get a couple of scales and set my bike on them.

Zach

Sonny S.

Wonder how much weight is on the the front tire going in to a down hill sweeping turn or when you apply the front brake and all that momentum shifts to the front tire ?

Baggers are the " in thing " right now. Metzler wants to sell tires. If they thought is was safe, and would not get them a law suit they would recommend 21's to replace a 16's.     :rtfb:

PC_Hater

A few quick sums.
A bagger weighs 730lb dry. Rider plus stuff weighs 200lbs. Round up to 1000lbs overall weight.
Weight distribution is in the 45% front 55% rear or maybe even 40% front 60% rear region.
Let's use 45% front, so with rider riding the bike on level ground the front tyre has 450lbs on it.
With a 584lb load rating that leaves 134lb for weight transfer under braking etc.
Now, the tyre load ratings are normally at the maximum rated speed. Ride slower and they can take more weight!
Those 120/70 x 21 are 'H' rated for 130mph aren't they?
So if you don't exceed 100mph and don't need to do a crash stop from 100mph you are probably OK.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

eojav

size, make and model is all I wanted to know :wtf:

Mike52

Quote from: eojav on January 05, 2009, 09:06:24 AM
Those of you running a 21" wheel on the front of your touring bike, I'd like to know what you run for tires both front and rear.  I have found the dunlop elite to be a reasonably priced tire for the front but what about the rear?

OK, I'll make it easy, but what about the rear, use the Dunlop Elite on the rear so you have a matched set. How's that for easy?

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net